• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Me 802 start up

Grimm21

I bought my me 802 out of the last lot of generators to be auctioned at LetterKenny. I noticed that many of these units had new oil filters and the description stated that new filters added and fluids filled. I checked the oil in the unit and see no water and wanted to here what you guys thought about starting the unit with that oil and filter in it and running it for an hour or two then dumping the oil and putting on a new filter.

Daybreak

2 Star Admiral
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Howdy,
I would suggest you look at all the factors of the unknown.
1. if batteries are present, trickle change them fully. If not, buy new batteries and charge them before use.
2. look over all lines, fuel, fuel return, wiring etc..
3. open air filter and at least blow out, maybe replace if needed
4. fuel - I would drain any and all fuel. replace 2 fuel filters
5. oil - I would not spare the expense of oil and new filter. I long drained my unit and put high quality oil in and a new filter.
RTFM - understand start-up procedure of your unit, understand what a run-away diesel motor is and how to shut it down.
*understand what the starting sequence is, manual crank in normal position, turn switch to prime and run, listen to fuel system and fuel pressure building, turn to start and hold there a moment until you see oil pressure rise on gauge, release switch.
Turn engine speed adjustment to bring inline to 60Hz, turn voltage adjustment to bring to 120/240 (single phase)
Have equipment ready to test. Amp meter to check your voltage and frequency. To double check your gauges are operating correctly on the panel too. Simple things at first for the convenience outlet such as a light. Remember that the breaker for the convenience outlet is the GFI test and reset, and inside the panel the 10amp rocker breaker.

I would also suggest you have proper wire to the lugs and put some good loads on your unit. I found my unit to have started to wet-stack in its prior life. A good hard load of 100% for at least a hour will help clear that up. I actually removed my exhaust manifold and pressure washed it, and used a screwdriver and knife to clean out the ports on the head.

Good luck with your unit. Report back with your results.

Grimm21

Thanks for all the good input daybreak I am learning as I go. Some people here would probably tell me not to mess with these units because I am not a mechanic or a electrician but I am very willing to learn all I can even if I screw up in the process. But I did get the unit fired up last night she runs good and makes power at the convenience outlet I ran into a small issue the unit refused to shut down I turned the main switch off and nothing I turned off the auxiliary switch in the engine compartment and nothing lastly I pushed the emergency shut off with no results. I stepped away from the unit to consult my friend who was there while doing so the unit quit running like it ran out of fuel so I need to start looking for a electrical issue just not sure where would be best place to start. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated

m-35tom

Supporting Vendor
did the solenoid move back towards the radiator? they can stick, push it by hand and it has to stop as this shuts off the fuel. it is very hard on the pumps to run out of fuel.

Grimm21

Tom is it possible for the unit to run without the solenoid I did some looking and found a skamatic drawing of the solenoid and approximately where it should be and it is not there I thought the solenoid was supposed to be attached to the fuel line to stop the flow? If missing where could I purchase a replacement and do you have any idea of price. I did find one on green mountain generators Web page but I noticed his prices are on the high side but he may be my only choice.

m-35tom

Supporting Vendor
sure it will run fine without it but it cannot shut itself off. solenoid pulls the top of the 'lever' away from the fan for run and pushes it toward the fan for shut off fuel. you can just do this by hand to run it. look on evilbay, there are usually some there.

jamawieb

I worked on a unit one time that did the exact same thing. When I turned the unit off, it would take about 60 seconds for it to finally shut off. It would run, then finally turn off like it ran out of fuel. It turned out that the injector pumps needed to be adjusted for delivery flow. I found the solution by chance, because when I restarted the unit, the exhaust temperatures where way far apart. After I adjusted the pumps so the exhaust temps matched, it fixed the problem.

Grimm21

Thank you for the pic it will help a lot my unit is missing the solenoid and arm to the shut off. All the ones I have seen for sale are just the solenoid no arm and no wires so now I have something to go on. Like I said previously I am not a mechanic but very willing to learn. So with this picture I can buy the parts and with a little luck match the wires and get it to work. Also where did you get the battery trays or did your unit come with them mine are gone

m-35tom

Supporting Vendor
do you still have the 3 wire connector on the wire harness? the engine will default to run position, so to stop it just hold the top of the lever towards fan.

Grimm21

Yes the three wire plug is still on the harness. I would like to put the correct linkage and solenoid back in the unit I don't know if I can get the correct harness. I'm not having any luck finding the wire harness or the linkage like the one in your photo. I have found a couple different solenoids that should work one of them has a L shaped bar on it that could fit in hole where the bolt would go

Grimm21

Thanks I will check hate to say it ebay I know gmg has them but they charge a steep price from the ones I have looked at and they don't show the part so I'm not sure if it just the solenoid without the wires or if the linkage to the fuel shut off is with it too.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks