• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Measurements of A1 Propeller/Drive Shafts?

Wire Fox

I need some help on this one. I had sent in my front/rear propeller shafts for modification after carefully measuring how much they needed to be altered in order to adjust for the 4L80E transmission. I had given them simple instructions to shorten one shaft and lengthen the other, but made the mistake of not listing absolute measurements. As well, I didn't write down the original measurements, which now leaves me with uncertainty as to if I took bad measurements and they made it faithfully, or if I made good measurements and they modified them incorrectly.

Would someone with an A1 HMMWV driveline (3L80, NP242, parking brake split to both rear wheels instead of on prop shaft) please go measure their rear propeller shaft and their mid-shaft (transfer case side of front prop shaft)? I just need the main shaft itself of each, not the yoke. Just let me know what point you measure from or a picture of the measurement. I appreciate any help you folks can offer to get me on the road a little quicker.

Jakob1944

Yo

Forward propeller shaft coming out of the transfer case is 26 1/4 inch tube length.......over all length end to end is 31 5/8 inch

Rear propeller shaft coming out of transfer case is 24 inch tube length.........over all length end to end is 28 7/8 inch

the measurement was taken with a steel tape measure so treat it as a non-precision measurement......I would say the measurement would be off 1/32 inch in either direction......

I hope this is satisfactory.....If I can provide further information please let me know

M998a1....3spd.....rear park brakes on rotors......

Should be noted that you can buy these units on ebay.....just give them the end to end length.....

Last edited:

kc5mzd

The last time I had a custom drive shaft made they didn't care about any of the old measurements or how much longer - shorter the shafts needed to be. They gave me very detailed instructions on how to measure the distance between the drive lines u-joints where I wanted the new shafts to go.
I would recommend forgetting everything you know, going to the shop and asking them how THEY want you to measure everything. If they can't convince you their way will result in shafts that are the correct length then go somewhere else and start over...

Wire Fox

The last time I had a custom drive shaft made they didn't care about any of the old measurements or how much longer - shorter the shafts needed to be. They gave me very detailed instructions on how to measure the distance between the drive lines u-joints where I wanted the new shafts to go.
I would recommend forgetting everything you know, going to the shop and asking them how THEY want you to measure everything. If they can't convince you their way will result in shafts that are the correct length then go somewhere else and start over...
I totally agree. I actually did what they requested. Kinda sucky how it ended up. Hindsight is 20/20. Their quality of welding, balancing, and attention to small details was superb. The fact that the sizing is wrong is probably my fault. I just asked for the numbers here to try and be sure.

Action

Tow the V to their shop and let them measure it. If it doesnt fit, then it is their fault. Or offer a case of beer for one of their guys to come to your house and measure it.