• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Mechanical Fuel Pump Help!

Peacemaker

I want to start off by saying thank you to everyone on this site. I purchased a M1009 seven months ago and so far I have been able to search this site or look in the TMs to solve the many issues I have had.

I am attempting to replace my leaking fuel pump. I have removed the passenger side alternator and bracket. The old fuel pump slide out easily and I removed the screws holding the fuel pump plate on. I planned on removing the plate to make it easier to reinstall the pump but I can't get the plate off. It acts like it has been welded in place and I can't find any way to pry it off.

Since the plate wouldn't come off I was going to try to replace it holding the push rod up with a hacksaw blade, but the push rod won't move. Once I removed the pump it slide down against the plate and I can't get it to budge. I tried spinning the motor using a wrench, it didn't help. As a last resort I quickly turned the key to for a second a few times since I have seen several people suggest that but it didn't help either.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thank You

spankybear

I greased the rod with some grease and use a strong magnet to move the rod up. It is best to remove the plate though. I still use grease to hold the rod.

cucvrus

Take a long rod/chisel and place it on the top edge of the cover plate. I assume you have removed the 2 M6 bolts. If not do so. Now with the rod/chisel squarely on the edge of the plate NOT block. Hit it and break the seal that the original gasket and adhesive has on the cover. BAM done. Now clean both surfaces and grind/file/sand the small knick that the impact removal put on the cover plate and the rod should fall out. Grease the rod with wheel bearing grease and push the greased end back up into the rod hole. After cleaning and a new gasket loosely attach the cover plate and then the fuel pump. Front bolt of pump. Fuel feed flare nut and back bolt of pump. Leave all loose until they are all started by hand. Attach the rubber feed line and tighten everything up. tighten the 2 cover plate M6 bolts last. good Luck. Report back. Easy task from the top. I remove the right alternator and brackets also. While you have them off. Painting them is optional and looks nice. Make sure you buy the correct fuel pump for the 6.2. Hope that helps. Have a Great Day.

Peacemaker

YAY!!! The plate is finally off. Thanks for your help.

I used a long screw driver and put small knicks and dents all over the plate but it still didn't budge. Then I stuffed paper towels in the hole and soaked it in freeze off and tried again. Still nothing, so I soaked it in pb blaster and tried yet again. After failing for the umpteen dozenth time, I removed the paper towels and very sketchily stuck the screw driver threw the hole and finally pried the plate off.

Now I just have to clean off all of the old rock hard gaskets and install the new pump. The push rod is in great though.

Cucvrus, I do have the correct pump thanks to your post with the pictures showing the correct one and the wrong one (aka the one I bought first before finding that post)

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks