• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

MEP-002A finally running

JimH

Picked up an MEP-002a with 400 hours on a M116 trailer (no cover) over the winter at Wright Patterson for $620 plus the GL tithe. Finally found some time to work on it, and it did need some work!

The fuel tank on the inside is the rustiest tank that the radiator shop or I have ever seen. Found one in fair condition on Epay, it should be here next week.

The fuel strainer bowl, and the first fuel filter bowl were both badly corroded, from what looks like long term contact with water. Had spares from the MEP-003a project last year, which I am using as a standby generator for the house. Also, there was a bad hose from the check valve to the injector pump that had to be replaced as well.

Finally cobbled enough stuff together to give it a try last night. It started on one cylinder and shook and rattled, and was kind of scary. After a few minutes the second cylinder started to fire, and it settled down after a few more minutes and made stable electricity. Now to get it all put back together, painted and mounted back on the trailer.

Compared to the MEP-003a that I got from Chambersburg last year, somebody clearly did not maintain this one quite as well. I think I have gotten most of the problems worked out, a testament to the ruggedness and the well thought out design of these units.

The prices of these units continue to climb, but they are well worth the money, because you sure can't find anything close on the civilian market.

hedgehog69

Good!! Makes me feel optimistic. I bought 4 of these and finally got to working on them today. Overall, they look great, but not perfect. I thought it a good idea to change fuel filters...cannisters were full of good looking fuel, so I am going to leave the rest alone and try those. 2 fuel tanks have the brass drain valves twisted off. I did get the first one going, but so far 60 seconds is about as long as it has ran. Welcoming suggestions!!

And...how do you start a NEW post on here?

Last edited:

JimH

Sounds like it might be an injector pump problem. Not sure if it will help, but some diesel fuel conditioner is probably not going to hurt. Might help.

Jim

JimH

Thanks, I appreciate it. I will keep it in mind. It has been an interesting learning experience so far. And, the result will keep me out of the dark the next time the electric fails.

panic_button

Check the fuel cut off solenoid, mine had cracked plastic piece that controlled the fuel cut off lever on the IP. Also the rod rubbed for the govenor, it would run fine, shut it off, restart it and it would run the start missing.

hedgehog69

Went to work on #2 MEP-002a....this time I did not change fuel filters. I filled it up with oil and put some fuel in the tank.
Somewhere I have seen the date they pulled these out of service..was Jan. Hit the prime...hit the glowplugs..
.and away we went. runs great. Hour meter shows 375 hours. Set the Hz to 60 Hz....grabbed a grinder out of the garage
and had electricity.:-D I gotta figure out #`1 yet, but at least it does run. #'s 3 & 4 I gotta repair the fuel tank drain.

JimH

I'm curious what parts you might have. I have the 002A running, but it is awfully loud.
I need to check to see if the muffler is on tight, but I might be needing another.

Jim