• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

MEP 002A governor hunting after a load

justacitizen

I have an MEP 002A that i am using as a prime power for my home and ranch after an extended power outage. this is the first time i have used this generator for this purpose. i purchased it several years ago to replace my Onan DJB 6.0 and i must say i like it very well. the issue at hand is the governor hunts just a little to much after the clothes dryer element cycles off. what i need to know, is there a fine adjustment or procedure for this so i can smooth it out? it picks up the load as smooth as silk it only surges a little after the load drops. any information would be greatly appreciated because i will be using this as my prime power for a month or so until we get the lines all rebuilt. Thanks

Guyfang

Staff member
Citizen,

Have you looked at the TM's? There is a passage for the adjustment of the governor. If you look in the manuals section here, the proper TM is there.

justacitizen

Thanks Guyfang ! I am new to this site and hadn't found those TM yet. I found the correct manual and found the adjustment procedure to exactly like the DJB. will have it fixed in short order.

Chainbreaker

Citizen - Curious about how many watts your clothes dryer is? I usually don't activate the dryer breaker unless I really need to during an outage. I guess for an extended period like you are encountering I would most certainly have to. I normally only activate the dryer (5600 Watts) when doing a controlled monthly test to put a good load on the generator during a 1 hour workout. That's when I noticed it occasionally grunt and complain a bit if something else significant kicks on while the dryer is running (well pump, septic pump...)

justacitizen

Pretty sure it is 5400 watts. the MEP 002a carries the load fine and the thermal doors never open. just remember that once the coils get hot they begin to cycle on and off every few minutes. I usually limit my other appliances when the dryer is on but i regularly run the washer and dryer and the well pump all at the same time. the droop is very little and i think the engine actually likes to be loaded every once in a while.

cuad4u

When pulling 5400 watts from a 002A and if the "thermal doors" never open, I would MAKE SURE the "thermal doors" and / or the temperature sensor are working properly. I have refurbished and sold some 34 002A and 003A generators. When load testing each of them at rated capacity the "thermal doors" ALWAYS open.

justacitizen

Cuad4u

Thank You,you are correct the doors should open but my ambient temp is 27 degrees F and the dryer only loads the generator intermittently. it gets the temp up just enough for the doors to open just about 1/4 of an inch then the element in the dryer cycles off and she cools back down. if the air temp was above 32 or the load was more constant i think it would get warmer. and the doors would see more movement. the 002A is way underrated in my opinion. I used to use an Onan DJB 6.0 with a magniciter in the same application and it carried the load almost as well as the 002A. it didn't have the same cooling system as the 002a and i had trouble getting it warm during extra cold temps.

When pulling 5400 watts from a 002A and if the "thermal doors" never open, I would MAKE SURE the "thermal doors" and / or the temperature sensor are working properly. I have refurbished and sold some 34 002A and 003A generators. When load testing each of them at rated capacity the "thermal doors" ALWAYS open.