• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Mep 002a linkage

Tpoole

Anyone have images of there's? I can't get her to stay at 60, she is either 50 or 70...

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Chainbreaker

Is it hunting between 50 - 70 or holding steady at one or the other? If hunting, its your governor adjustment. There is an adjustment procedure in the TM's. If you haven't downloaded them they are located here.

Here is the way one of mine is set. The spring and star adjuster should be set somewhere in this range as shown.

IMG_2078.jpg

Last edited:

Ray70

So on the subject of air cooled Governor adjustments I have some interesting facts I just learned the hard way...
I was working on an 002a a few days ago, prepping it for sale and noticed the droop was beyond acceptable limits.
It would droop about 1.5 Hz for every 1Kw of load applied.
I lowered the spring a little bit with oddly no change to the droop, but also noticed that the throttle lever was now hitting the stop screw and I needed to back the screw out a bit to get back to 60Hz. I lowered the spring all the way to the bottom yet still no improvement with the droop.
This gen originally had a PSU pump with a broken plunger and I had replaced it with an Ambac but never checked the timing button, so I did and found it to be off by 2 sizes. Changed to the correct button and still unacceptable droop. The odd thing was that I could rev it up under load with my finger under the throttle linkage and I also noticed that even with the governor spring all the way at the bottom I was still not getting any hunting.
So I knew it was not an issue with injectors or the IP, it had to be a governor problem.
After close comparison to another air cooled machine I noticed differences in the adjusted length of the spring loaded lever coming off the IP and differences in the height of the tip of the governor linkage arm ( the main arm that goes from the timing cover up to near the stop solenoid) in the stopped position. Turns out the lever arm was slightly bent just above the star wheel for the governor spring , causing all these problems.
I replace that arm with a spare and no more droop problems, she holds 59 Hz at 6500W with no problem now!

As for the OP's question, Chainbreaker's picture is pretty accurate, maybe 1 notch higher than what I typically find to be the sweet spot, but pretty close.
9 times out of 10 you end up wanting to be at about the 3rd groove up from the bottom, but follow the TM and you will easily get it dialed in.... unless anything is BENT!

Guyfang

Staff member
Guyfang you must be mellowing. I can remember when you would say "read the _____ manuals". Are you OK???
Too much going on right now. Getting old.

Ray wrote:
So I knew it was not an issue with injectors or the IP, it had to be a governor problem.
After close comparison to another air cooled machine I noticed differences in the adjusted length of the spring loaded lever coming off the IP and differences in the height of the tip of the governor linkage arm ( the main arm that goes from the timing cover up to near the stop solenoid) in the stopped position. Turns out the lever arm was slightly bent just above the star wheel for the governor spring , causing all these problems.
I replace that arm with a spare and no more droop problems, she holds 59 Hz at 6500W with no problem now!

This is what I alluded to in the other thread. The TM tells you haow to adjust all this mess. First check that. THEN you can go from there. But all too often, when the Gov arm is out of adjustment, it throughs everything out. Get the basics first.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks