• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

MEP-002A & MEP-016D Just Arrived

1FAST4

Picked up (3) Gen Sets from GL Auctions; my first ones. (1) MEP-002A and (2) MEP-016D’s. I have read a lot of the posts regarding both these units. One recurring thing I keep seeing is, “do not just let them run at idle”

After changing fluids, filters and flushing fuel lines I want to fire the engine up to make sure their functioning correctly.

So, my questions are:

Can you run the engine with no load and the main breaker(s) off?

If not, can I just apply a load via the convenience outlets and run the engine without issue?

If not, how do I check the engines functionality?

Speddmon

Blind squirrel rehabiltator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Congrats on the scores

Yes, it is perfectly fin to run the generator with the main breaker Off. It will not hurt a thing. Just make sure you don't run it at idle...I had to say it aua

1FAST4

Tom,

I just wanted to make sure I got it straight before I fire them up.

This 002A is the one I got your spin-on for.

Thanks,
Dave

ps. Also looking for a Slave Receptacle Bracket for the 002A, don't really care what it looks like as long as it not snap in half like mine. Let me know if you have a lead on one.

derf

You may need to bleed the injector lines to let the air out. I'm not sure if that was included in "flushing fuel lines".
If the Yanmars have been sitting a while you may have to remove and clean the injector pump as they get sticky sometimes.

derf

Unless you bought a heap most of the gens are DRMO'd for minor reasons. The 16s might need VRs or something. Starting them is not hard, they're Diesel. Fuel and air and compression is all they need. Post some pics if you can.

1FAST4

Pic's

Here's some pic's. Looks like the 002A was PM'ed in 2010 from the looks of the air filter. The battiers still had output of 12 volts between them. After charging only came up to 21 volts between them. Will pick up a couple from Costco the weekend.

Attachments

storeman

I assume you charged them separately with the ground to the generator disconnected and the link between them disconnected. Most govt batteries with any life in them can be rejuvenated unless a hygrometer shows dead cells.
Jerry:beer:

Last edited:

Speddmon

Blind squirrel rehabiltator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Pretty nice looking set of generators you have there.

But the pictures don't show any issues with the slave receptacle on the 002a? It looks like it's all there.

1FAST4

Took them completely off the gererator and charged seperately. Levels were just alittle low in a few cells, toped them off and charged each one at the 6 amps charger setting for about 18 to 20 hours. May be some more time?

I assume you charged them separately with the ground to the generator disconnected and the link between them disconnected. Most govt batteries with any life in them can be rejuvenated unless a hygrometer shows dead cells.
Jerry:beer:

storeman

I use a small solid state Schauer Chargemaster (I believe that is the name) It is an automatic pulse charger which charges quickly and has a "rejuvenation" (de-sulfate) cycle and a cell equalization cycle. I charge at 16 amps. A couple of batteries have required a couple of treatments to regain strength. As I recall, it cost about $60 on the web a year or two ago. Rejuvenation can be done for 24 hours at a time and can be done repeatedly.
Jerry

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks