• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

MEP-002A newbie

superbike

Hi, I just purchased my first MEP-002A and finally got it running. So far it looks like it runs OK. There are some electrical problems. The frequency meter is not moving. I did some voltage checks and the frequency transmitter is dead. Anyone have a lead for a used transmitter? I don’t know if the % demand meter is working or not as I have not hooked to a load yet. Voltage adjustment is not working. Turning the knob does nothing to the voltage adjustment. The resistor (pot) has a resistance of about zero to around 500 ohms. Has anyone had the same problem? My next step is to check out the circuit board in the control cabinet. The engine started on one cylinder. I taped on the injector a couple of times and the second cylinder started working. Today the engine sputtered from time to time. Not sure what the problem is. I purchased new batteries (group 56) and I plan to fabricate a new battery box. Definitely a cool new toy!
:)

edgephoto

Sounds good. Did you clean the fuel system good before firing up? Or did you just fill it and hope for the best? My two units came with a little fuel in the tank and filters that smelled real bad. You can add some marvel mystery oil to the fuel and that can help clean things.

The frequency gauge and transducer are common failures. Many different solutions. Use kill-a-watt and forget about the gauge on the unit. You can try and find a used transducer and gauge. There is a company that sells a replacement unit that is more robust. Some have fitted digital or cheap analog meters instead.

Make sure you have the switch on the control panel set for the phase and voltage you are using. Then put a load on it and see it the load meter reads anything.

There are some threads about the voltage regulator and how to diagnose them.

superbike

Hi,
Thanks for the advice. I removed the fuel bowls and cleaned the strainer. I just got new filters today, but I started it with the old filters. I let the fuel pump run for a few minutes with the fuel drains open. I did not do anything with the tank other than draining. I poured fuel in and it took a couple of minutes to drain into the tank, not sure why. Fuel gauge does not work. I’m thinking of just fabing a new stainless steel or Aluminum tank. I was thinking of just replacing the frequency meter with an aftermarket unit. I have a DVM to use a temporary fix.

edgephoto

Hi,
Thanks for the advice. I removed the fuel bowls and cleaned the strainer. I just got new filters today, but I started it with the old filters. I let the fuel pump run for a few minutes with the fuel drains open. I did not do anything with the tank other than draining. I poured fuel in and it took a couple of minutes to drain into the tank, not sure why. Fuel gauge does not work. I’m thinking of just fabing a new stainless steel or Aluminum tank. I was thinking of just replacing the frequency meter with an aftermarket unit. I have a DVM to use a temporary fix.
Instead of making a tank, why not clean your tank and use a tank sealer inside. Less work and less cost. The fuel gauge is mechanical so you can probably fix it.

1800 Diesel

Hi, I just purchased my first MEP-002A and finally got it running. So far it looks like it runs OK. There are some electrical problems. The frequency meter is not moving. I did some voltage checks and the frequency transmitter is dead. Anyone have a lead for a used transmitter? I don’t know if the % demand meter is working or not as I have not hooked to a load yet. Voltage adjustment is not working. Turning the knob does nothing to the voltage adjustment. The resistor (pot) has a resistance of about zero to around 500 ohms. Has anyone had the same problem? My next step is to check out the circuit board in the control cabinet. The engine started on one cylinder. I taped on the injector a couple of times and the second cylinder started working. Today the engine sputtered from time to time. Not sure what the problem is. I purchased new batteries (group 56) and I plan to fabricate a new battery box. Definitely a cool new toy!
:)
Don't get offended, but are you sure you have the engine speed up to 1800? The freq meter won't register until you get pretty close to speed. If you haven't already done so, try increasing engine speed & see if the freq meter starts registering a value...

Also--never let the unit idle for more than a few seconds, as damage to the unit could occur...probably could get away with a minute or so, but don't chance it...always set the throttle to mid-position at start up and then turn knob clockwise to increase speed to 1800...

Last edited:

superbike

Thanks for the advice on engine RPM. Yes, the speed was at full throttle. The rheostat (voltage control) did nothing but the volt meter worked. After starting I brought the throttle up and the voltage went to around 240v. I have the outputset for 3-phase. Adjusting the voltage knob did nothing. As for the tank, when I pour fuel in, it fills the strainer inside the tank and takes a while for thefuel to drain into the tank, which makes refueling a slow process. I’m not sure if the strainer is clogged and Idon’t see any way to remove and clean the strainer.

Last edited:

edgephoto

Thanks for the advice on engine RPM. Yes, the speed was at full throttle. The rheostat (voltage control) did nothing but the volt meter worked. After starting I brought the throttle up and the voltage went to around 240v. I have the outputset for 3-phase. Adjusting the voltage knob did nothing. As for the tank, when I pour fuel in, it fills the strainer inside the tank and takes a while for thefuel to drain into the tank, which makes refueling a slow process. I’m not sure if the strainer is clogged and Idon’t see any way to remove and clean the strainer.
The strainer does come out. I took mine out of both units and cleaned them. My buddy actually did that part. If I remember you have to twist and line up tabs with slots in the tank to remove. Maybe someone else can chime in with better info.

1800 Diesel

OK Superbike--just wanted to be sure on the engine being up to the correct RPM...was hoping that's all it was....as for the strainer assembly, there are 2 "ears" on the side of the "can" of the assembly. You have to rotate the can until these ears line up with guides and then you can pull the whole thing out. I believe it may be a 90 degree rotation to get the thing to line up so as to allow removal. Our 2nd unit had a bunch of trash & water in the tank and once I removed the strainer assembly I could get good access to the tank interior for cleaning. Also allows you to clean the screen too...

storeman

Strainer is a pretty easy fix. rotate until tabs line up, remove and blow with a high pressure compressor air nozzle from both sides. If necessary use a brass bristle brush gently and reapply the air. While filler neck is out, inspect the tank after you drain it from the bottom petcock.
Jerry

steelypip

It's a good idea to remove the tank and clean with pea gravel, fuel and agitation - repeat until it comes out clean. You've probably got the usual gunge layer at the bottom of the tank. Others here have suggested an annual pumpout of the tank to get the water and crud out - it's good advice. I got about a cup of water out of mine this fall when I pumped it empty for a fuel change.

LMT19

Hi,
I am going to bid one either 002A or 003A auction online (govliqidation) site for home backup only. I do not know if this is worth or not, or simply purchase one from ebay in higher cost. What you think of? I am new to generator but a little of others in electronics and mechanicals. One unit 002A was 1988 and hours only less than 2. I guess something wrong with electronics... Can you help a little bit?
Thanks,
Larry

edgephoto

Hi,
I am going to bid one either 002A or 003A auction online (govliqidation) site for home backup only. I do not know if this is worth or not, or simply purchase one from ebay in higher cost. What you think of? I am new to generator but a little of others in electronics and mechanicals. One unit 002A was 1988 and hours only less than 2. I guess something wrong with electronics... Can you help a little bit?
Thanks,
Larry
Larry,

You should start your own thread. Also your post is unclear. Try to repost using full sentences instead.