• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

mep-002a starter cut out switch broken

Shayno

I recently purchased an Mep-002a and during the normal prep work( filters, oil, fuel injecter pump cleaning) i broke the switch that kicks the starter out at set rpm. Not sure on the name, start control switch, starter kick out switch, starter over ride switch. Located below and to the right of the injector pump.

So what i did was unplug the switch and jumper the plug so the starter would engage. That works to get it started. The only problem with that is the generators sometimes need to be flashed or energized to start producing power. This cant be done when the switch is jumpered because then the starter will engage while the engine is running. So what i thought should work is undo the jumper and then turn the control knob from run to start to energize the unit. For some reason this does not work, i tried holding the knob for 4 or 5 seconds. Anyone out there know why this didnt work? Or am i overlooking something as to why this wont work. Or any other suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

I know the other option would be to replace the switch but i havent been able to find any online.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
State, our site rules request a state listed in your location.

Look up the part in the TM , then google the nsn or part number.

Delks will probably have what you need.

Triple Jim

My MEP-003A is wired according to the 003A schematic, and the flashing current is turned off by the speed switch. I don't how many 002As and 003As are wired this way, but mine won't flash unless the speed switch is below its operating RPM. If yours is wired the same, then by opening your jumper, you broke the flashing circuit. The only way I can re-flash my field is to stop the engine and restart it.

Shayno

That makes sense. I was thinking i could use a toggle because of what i read on http://greenmountaingenerators.com/blog/
Manually “flashing” or “energizing” the unit is still possible by simply holding the switch in the Start position for a couple of seconds even after the unit has been running.
I'm guessing they dont realize you cant wait to flash it, and it has to be on start up.

Triple Jim

If I remember correctly, the 002A manual shows the circuit wired so it will flash if you move the master switch to the start position while the engine is running, but the 003A manual shows it wired though the speed switch so you can not flash once the engine is started. I have no idea how many of which model generator are actually wired for flashing after startup, but I have confirmed that my 003A will not as it's currently wired.

Isaac-1

All I can say is my MEP-002a is the same way, must shut down and restart to flash, there seems to be lots of details of the wiring on these units that may or may not be by the book.

Shayno

Thanks everybody for the quick responses. I found a switch on ebay a few hours after starting the thread, but thanks storeman, i will keep you in mind if i need to buy some parts in the future.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks