• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

MEP-002a Starter trouble shoot question S1 to K-3

Guyfang

Staff member
Well, I'm an idiot, but that is not news to me. I was wondering why they would have put CR-1 diode for crank on VR board, but there it is, a diode also marked CR-1 and the only one visible. Probably I missed something in TM that would have told me correct location.

I see the diodes mounted behind A-1 are also designated CR-1 & 2. I replaced that CR-1 diode and problem solved, we have crank & run without jumping any circuits.

Thanks for the help Guy, I never would have found the correct CR-1 if you had not asked me to check that the terminal was not grounded to board.

At least I learned a few things that may help in future. Now to take the other 002 and the 701 out of mothballs too.
That's what I thought was the problem. That's why I kept coming back to checking/jumping between the two terminals. Sometimes this happens when we are both not on the same page. Not to worry. Happens to us all.

Guyfang

Staff member
While I was dealing w this, I got out my spare control box I bought cheep back when everyone was parting these out. I noticed the VR board is newer, dated 1996. The rest of box shows a lot of age and wear, with almost 4K hours on meter.

I see this board has a bunch of jump wires on it that are not on the VRs from my other 002s. Wondering if this is stock, don't want to mess up a running machine just to test a VR board, but would be good to know if it was viable spare.

Any advice on this?
Now, to the VR. Long ago, in a far, far Galaxy, there were two different VR boards. One for 60 hertz, one for 400 hertz. Then the army bought an universal board. One board fits all. No, the new boards come naked. You have to remove the jumpers from the bad board when you change them out.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks