• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

MEP-002a Vs MEP-802a

joesco

Folks,
If you had a choice of purchasing a 802a unit (4200 hours) for $300.00 more than an 002a unit (2200 hours, would the 802a unit be a no-brainer?

Would about parts for the 802a? vs the 002a???

Thanks Guys!

Carl_in_NH

Is 'one of each' a valid answer? I'd like to pick up an 802 at some point, but know much more about the older units.

I would think that 002 parts would be likely easier to locate at this time.

Isaac-1

I would say it depends on what your doing with it, the MEP-802a will be a lot quieter, and a little more fuel economic. Parts availablity is the only big question, but chances are this will get better in time with eh MEP-802a as more show up on the surplus market, compared to the MEP-002 which is based on an engine block that was discontinued almost 20 years ago.

Ike

Last edited:

emmado22

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I dont think the discontinued engine block is a huge deal. M35A2 engines were discontinued 20+ years ago also, but that doesnt seem to be a problem. Getting parts for the 802 is going to be hard, while parts for the 002 is easy.

Speddmon

Blind squirrel rehabiltator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I think you might have a harder time finding parts for the 802a for the time being since they aren't getting surplused out as much yet. And IIRC from looking at the TM, most of the electronic components in the 802a are recommended to be replaced if found to be faulty, where-as the electronics in the 002a can be easily repaired. Good luck finding a voltage regulator for the 802a if needed.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks