• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

MEP 003 IP, Solenoid or other?...

David Sims

I picked up my MEP 003 from the Albany GA auction this week. I cleaned the dirty fuel tank, installed new filters throughout, flushed the fuel system..... took my time and got it all ready to start. Pre heat glow plugs for 45 sec, it turns over fine, builds oil pressure but no smoke at all out the exhaust.

After some research here I propped up the bottom of the governor linkage using the handle of a pair of pliers - and it started right up. I QUICKLY got my linkage positioned to 60hz. As long as I have my linkage propped up it runs great....remove it and it dies.

Is my IP control unit assembly gunked up? The fuel tank was dirty/rusty but the clear fuel in the lines looked ok.

Or could it have something to do with my solenoid switch? (The procedure for testing my solenoid switch under F5-2 is not in my technical manual.)

Other?

Thanks,

David

Harleyd315

Dave, A little trick I use to check the fuel shut down solenoid is to disconnect the starter lock out wiring by the oil filter. This takes the starter out of the loop and when you move the main switch to the start position you can hear the solenoid click into place without the noise of the starter. The solenoid should snap up when the switch is is the start position. Be sure to make sure you are getting power to the solenoid with the switch in the start position also.:grd:

David Sims

the problem was a...

loose connection. The 5 wire screw type connection near the solenoid was not tight enough to make a connection. Problem fixed and all seems to be in order with this unit so far.

My next step will be to operate it under load. I have an old stove I use when exercising my MEP 002's that should work well.

Many thanks,

David

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks