• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

MEP-003 Max AC Size?

panic_button

I'm looking at a MEP-003, what I've read in the forum, and Onan's site is that they are designed to run at short burst of about 300% over the rated 10K. What I am after is to connect it to the 200A Auto Switch (Generac RTS200-A3) I have (already know it will not start the MEP), and run the house. My concern is that I have a 5 ton 13 seer AC/heat pump. The sticker on it has a LRA 159, RLA 28, Min Amp 36.4 Max Amp 60. Last summer the AC guys put in a "Hard Start" capacitor in (due to old one failing after 1 year) and it helped in the light dimming when the compressor started. Now taking amp reading off each leg when the compressor starts I get a start up draw of 51A & 44A on the legs and 13A & 18A when running.

The main concern is to have one for hurricane season, run 1 fridge, freezer in the garage, small undercounter ice maker, lights, TV & some ceiling fans. Hot water heater, dryer are electric, but I doubt if we lose power they would be a big concern.

The big question... Will the MEP-003 handle the start up draw?

Thanks in advance

Last edited:

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
They are.

Gimpy has been out in the hot Cali sun, too long.

Speddmon

Blind squirrel rehabiltator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
you should be good with the 003a. Since you have the ability to check amp readings on your AC feed, and know about the "hard start kit", I would take an afternoon and switch the house over to the 003a and see if it would run everything. It may run everything just fine since it's rated at 52 amps at 240 volts. But if not, if you practice a little common sense load managment you'll be fine. unplug the freezer and only plug it in every few hours to keep everything frozen. When you have the freezer plugged in, unplug the fridge. Little things like that and you should be good to go with an 003a. But like I said, I would try to run all that stuff before the emergency occurs. Get a helper and while you are watching the generator and amp meter and standing by to shut down if necessary get everything to cycle on so that everything is running and see what kind of load you're seeing.

Speddmon

Blind squirrel rehabiltator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I thought the 004's were 3 phase only?
They are.

Gimpy has been out in the hot Cali sun, too long.
Supposedly, there is this mysterious "zig zag" connection that I have heard members talking about having on their 004's (but have yet to see any pictures of one actually hooked up like that). But in doing this connection, you have to de-rate the set by at LEAST 1/3rd, so you now have a 15 KW MEP-004a that has been de-rated to a 10 KW, just like the 003a is, without having to do any special reconnecting.

Isaac-1

Be aware most Generac Automatic transfer switches are brain dead, and will only work correctly when connected to a Generac brand generator as they rely on the generators onboard logic circuits to control the transfer switch.

Ike

glcaines

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have an MEP-003A and I love it. I have 400-amp service in my house and I purchased a 400-amp four pole manual transfer switch manufactured by Square D on e-pay, new in the box. For heat and cooling I have a 5 Ton WaterFurnace EnoVision geothermal ground loop heat pump with a de-superheater for hot water. As Speddmon recommended, I turned on the geothermal heat pump, both ovens in the kitchen, cook top and many lights. This is much more of a load than anyone is likely to use at any one time. The MEP-003A has no problems with the high load. It was not overloaded, but it was obviously working hard. I calculated the voltage drop for my ~125 foot run to the generator and decided to run #2 aluminum wire underground in conduit. My voltage at the panel under high load is spot on. The MEP-003A is also great because it is air cooled, meaning no coolant problems. Mine is also trailer-mounted meaning that I can tow it as needed to other parts of the property. I coupled the genset to the feed cable with a 100-amp pin and sleeve connector. This was overkill, but I got it for a reasonable price. I didn't want an automatic transfer switch because the MEP-003A is not easily converted to auto-start and also the manufal switches are 100% trouble free.

Last edited: