• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Mep-003 start disconect switch

Speddmon

Blind squirrel rehabiltator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
It would appear so...it took me a while to find that one in the print...LOL

It's too late to check mine out for you, but what kind of issues are you having?

truckfest

Speddmon,

Thanks for your reply.

I am still dealing with the Generator Set that had the problem with the Bridge Rectifier Board Resistor. I took the Generator Set and a good Rectifier Board to a local motor/electrical shop to determine resistance value of the Resistor. After a brief discussion and review of the drawings, the electrician wondered if the Start Disconnect Switch S7 prevents back feeding the resistor board once unit is running. This was a very preliminary review. I am aware of the action and occasional issues of the Start Lockout Switch, but am not sure it has anything to do with the Bridge Rectifier Board? It does seem odd the military would refer to the same item by two slightly different names, I guess it could change over a period of production.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Truckfest

Speddmon

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
First off, a very quick google search of the NSN for the resistor shows that it is a 56 Ohm, 6.5 watt resistor. If your guy came up with anything different that that I would go by what the NSN shows. Here is a link...5905-00-081-7350

As to the start disconnect switch, I cannot vouch for the operation of that switch because I've never even noticed it on the prints before. However, looking at the prints I doubt that it has anything at all to do with that resistor. That switch looks like it prevents "K3" relay from energizing, without "K3" you cannot energize "K6"..."K6" is the starter solenoid. Even after the set is running you can still hit the start switch and get the starter to try to engage, so that switch does not open when the set is running. Meaning that it is always in the circuit with the resistor, just allowing the resistor a path to ground if needed.

More than likely, what has happened to your resistor was that someone held the start switch too long in the start position. When the start switch is engaged terminal 27 of S1 has 24 volts on it, which in turn through the wiring feeds the exciter field to start the generation process. The resistor provides a means of voltage drop for that 24 volts so you do not over excite the field in the initial stages of start-up (by holding the start switch too long you are putting more power across that resistor than it can handle and it burns up). Once the set is running and you release the start switch then terminal 27 is no longer powered and CR2 effectively prevents the power from the voltage regulator from going anywhere but to the exciter field.

I could be totally wrong here, as these prints are not like anything I've seen before in my 15 years of troubleshooting...but that's the way I understand them to operate anyway.

jbk

hey speddmon, myself like alot of others i think hold the start switch until the oil preasures up which can be awhile and burning the bridge has worried me. do you think a toggle switch to close the oil preasure switch until oil preasures up and then releaseing the switch to restore the safty switch would be a problem?

Speddmon

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
It wouldn't create a problem, as long as you remember to open the switch when your oil pressure comes up...or you could do some serious damage if you would loose oil pressure.

In all honesty, you'll probably never burn up that resistor if you watch what you're doing....The longest I've had to hold mine in the start position (other than right after an oil change) was 10 seconds. Even right after an oil change, giving time to fill the filter and all, I'll hold it for 10 seconds, and then stop it...wait for 20 to 25 seconds and hit it again, and the pressure comes right up. Believe me, if you're watching the clock and watching the oil pressure...10 seconds seems like forever!!!!