• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

MEP-003a FIRST START with video

wallew

Steel Soldiers Supporter
OK, I purchased a MEP-003a from Islandguydon. It was a Scyros rebuild...

as I promised Don, I would post a video of first start up, here it is...

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3FlB7NTWRCM[/media]

2:41 for the video

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
You should always run that generator at or near 60 hz, or you can damage the voltage regulator.

islandguydon

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Jim, I am pleased, the first start up went well. I have a set of Moto Guzzi mufflers for that unit. They will bring the sound down to 1/3 of the factory. Dogg is right on the 60 Hz tip. As promised I will stand behind this unit for a year so any problems at all just let me know.:beer:

kipman

I love the sound of a MEP in the morning. and like DH said, set the unit to run at 60 hz, leave the throttle at that setting, start and stop from there, VR are kinda pricy.

wallew

Steel Soldiers Supporter
ah guys, I KNOW, I KNOW...

it was STRICTLY a first start up

when the trailer got here, the batteries were dead

so I charged them for a couple of hours each

THEN after printing out and rereading the start up procedure, I did that and only that

even checked the oil pressure - 50 psi - I did not even run it up to operating temperature

I have yet to do any of the adjustments that need to be done

I'm rereading the TM's so I can kind of 'triple check' everything before the next start up

THEN I'll post another one showing the results of all the settings

not trying to abuse a really nice piece of equipment, I just wanted to start it up

don, yes I AM interested, let me know

coyote62ny

when you start a mep-002 or 003 for the first time as soon as it is running pull out that throttle and get it to 60 hertz and leave the throttle there. in your video you have already run the set below 60 hertz long enough to cook the ac voltage regulator these sets are desighened to run at 60 hertz when you shut them down take the load off the generator by turning off the main breaker. let the set run for 2 to 5 minutes shut it down at 60 hertz and just leave the throttle alone or you will cook that ac voltage regulator.

steelandcanvas

It has been ingrained in us to release the start switch when the engine starts, this habit is difficult to overcome when starting an 002 or 003. Nice piece of equipment Jim. Congratulations on your purchase! Don't forget to put some Diesel additive in her, and maybe some Lucas in the crankcase.
JJ

wallew

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Honest guys, I DO GET IT... and I am trying very hard to show that...

this is a very nice piece of equipment

here is the next video showing that IT IS NOW SET at 60 hz and 120volts

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1HMG98fr9lE[/media]if you look at the load meter - THERE IS NO LOAD at this point

again, just starting and testing for set up purposes only

not trying to fry anything - honest

all of the circuit breakers are off and NOTHING is currently attached to any of the legs - L0 L1 L2 L3

just starting this baby up and then SETTING IT to the correct settings

again - no load yet - next step is an electrician that will put the transfer switch on our house

====================

on a side note - regarding the cover for this trailer

when you put it on, so that the cover matches the wheel wells and can be tied down at the correct spots, there are no tie ups on the side with the exhaust - which I would have thought WOULD have been the side you want to tie up - the tie ups hold up the side OPPOSITE side from the exhaust

if you reverse it so that the side that ties up is on the exhaust side, the cover doesn't line up with the wheel wells

so, which is it?

Wheel wells of the cover lined up but no way to tie up the exhaust side

OR

Wheel wells of the cover NOT lined up and you CAN tie up the exhaust side

HELP!!

===========================================

S&C - YOU GET THAT CARD YET???

steelandcanvas

Strange cover Jim. My cover rolls up on both sides. Flip it over across the top and tie it down on the other side. You might need to extend the straps with a piece of rope temporarily.

Edit: Yes Jim I got your Christmas card, finally. Thank you and don't forget me next year!

Last edited:

NJ_Toolnut

Jim, I am pleased, the first start up went well. I have a set of Moto Guzzi mufflers for that unit. They will bring the sound down to 1/3 of the factory. Dogg is right on the 60 Hz tip. As promised I will stand behind this unit for a year so any problems at all just let me know.:beer:
Motorcycle mufflers, eh? 2/3 noise reduction, eh? I'm intrigued. How expensive are these mufflers and how do they bolt up? Do they increase exhaust back pressure?

I don't particularly mind the noise, but these units with as issued mufflers ARE LOUD. I never run mine unless I'm wearing good hearing protection. I assumed most of the noise is mechanical, since these engines are air cooled and don't have very thick cylinder or cylinder head walls compared to liquid cooled diesels, but perhaps I'm mistaken and most of the noise is due to inadequate muffling of the exhaust.

Stan

Speddmon

Blind squirrel rehabiltator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Motorcycle mufflers, eh? 2/3 noise reduction, eh? I'm intrigued. How expensive are these mufflers and how do they bolt up? Do they increase exhaust back pressure?

I don't particularly mind the noise, but these units with as issued mufflers ARE LOUD. I never run mine unless I'm wearing good hearing protection. I assumed most of the noise is mechanical, since these engines are air cooled and don't have very thick cylinder or cylinder head walls compared to liquid cooled diesels, but perhaps I'm mistaken and most of the noise is due to inadequate muffling of the exhaust.

Stan
I would like to know more about these mufflers as well, because all of these sets already have mufflers from the factory. They are noisy, but additional mufflers will not help the noise much at all because the noise you are hearing is generator fan noise and diesel engine noise, not so much exhaust noise.

wallew

Steel Soldiers Supporter
On a similar type question

can anyone tell me IF the ASK (?) kit makes THAT much difference?

I've only seen one on YouTube and it still seemed REALLY loud...

other than enclosing this in a building, HOW quiet can it be made and still function properly?

Speddmon

Blind squirrel rehabiltator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I don't think that they make that much difference at all. Then again, I don't think the generators are all that loud to begin with. If you are standing right next to them, yes, they are a bit loud. But back off 20 feet or even go around the corner of a building and the noise isn't that great at all.

Please keep in mind that I don't have any neighbors to annoy, so the noise doesn't matter to me in the least.

steelypip

I think my MEP-002A is quite loud, but it's a sort of diffuse, pleasant noise that you don't notice until you shut the thing down and discover your ears are ringing. They're definitely over 90 DB at a meter. That's why there are the 'HEARING PROTECTION REQUIRED' stencils all over the unit.

I put an upward-facing tractor muffler on mine with a cap on it. Keeps the rain out, and directs the exhaust (and exhaust noise) upward. Doesn't help much with the diesel clatter (magnified by the cooling fins) or the cooling fan noise.

steelypip

Yes, that's the business end of a Pratt&Whitney J58 doing its thing: making enough power to push 172,000 lb of JP-7 and titanium faster than mach 3. I have a family connection to the development of that engine, so it's a family pride thing to have it as an avatar.

How does this relate to an MEP-003? The only way I can think of is to mention the start cart used to spin the J58 up before every blackbird flight - In the early '60s there wasn't a compact (flightline portable) generator or air compressor big enough to do the job, so a cart containing two nailhead Buicks (later BB Chevies) was used as the starting powerplant. These were transported around to start blackbirds when they landed away from Beale even after Beale went to pneumatic starters.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks