• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

MEP-003A Fuel pump strainer position

Daniel262

Hello STEEL SOLDIERS, This is my first post here so I hope im in the right spot. I just picked up 2 genny's and when I went to clean the FUEL PUMP strainers they just fell out and I don't know which way they go back in (small hole up or down) I swear one was in each way . Or does it even matter?
Also as far as hooking up a power cable to run to my house where do I find one , or should I just make my own out of the 3 phase cords that came with them? Do most people use a twist lock going to the gen or use the lugs?
One more Question :roll: When I exercise the genny what do most people use to put a load on these 10kw gens?, and do you use the 115v outlets or hook something up to the lugs? I read that your not spose'd to run these with no load (wet stacking)
And YES I am going to hire an electrician to Install the transfer switch and such, Thank You

steelandcanvas

Welcome! First, download the Tech Manual so you can become more familiar with your gensets. "Wet-stacking" is more of an issue with water cooled units. The 120 volt convenience receptacle won't even come close to loading up your genset enough for a good exercise. Correct installation to your house panel will exercise her just fine. I prefer maximum versatility with my 003A, so I came off the output lugs with a 125/250 volt 50 amp twist-lock receptacle. With that, I can plug into my house panel, attach a spider box (construction power box), or attach to any other house electrical panel. My 003A is mounted in an M105 trailer so I can have power at almost any location. Your electrician should know the correct parts for a safe and legal installation. Toward the bottom of this page, there is a link to similar threads. Pull up some of these threads and get some ideas for your install. Good luck and ask lots of questions!

Attachments

Last edited:

Daniel262

Wow,thanks for the pics, that was just what I was lookin for , that really helps.
how about the fuel PUMP strainer,do you remember which way it goes into the pump?
I did print the whole TM and have been doing lots of reading, Thanks Again

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The "website help" forum is for website issues.

No problem, I'll move it to the "Auxiliary Equipment" forum where it belongs and will get more exposure.

jamawieb

The strainer should go in with the larger opening facing down, so the smaller opening goes in first (According to the TM). Although, like you have mention I've seen them installed either way and doesn't seem to cause problems.

cuad4u

I think once you get to know your 003A's you will love them. As far as load testing I use electric water heater elements immersed in a plastic 55 gallon drum of water. A 5500 watt and a 4500 watt element will give you a 10KW load.

steelandcanvas

I think once you get to know your 003A's you will love them. As far as load testing I use electric water heater elements immersed in a plastic 55 gallon drum of water. A 5500 watt and a 4500 watt element will give you a 10KW load.
Have any photos of your load tester? Not trying to hijack your thread OP.

Daniel262

I store the gen in my barn so I really don't want to drag it up to the house every month to exercise it , The water heater sounds like a good option and I might have a couple laying around somewhere.