• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

MEP 003A Generator Engine

chaikwa

Being not at ALL familiar with military things, I was wondering if someone could school me on the engines used in the MEP003A gen sets.

I have a need for a stationary engine to power a fire wood processor I am building and came across the engine only from one of these units. The spec sheet states that the engine only produces 17 HP. I know that the miltary under-rates most of it's stuff, but that seems low even for them. I have a 140 cubic inch Perkins in a loader and that makes 70 HP.

About ten years ago I had a Teldyne 4A084-4, 4 cylinder military gen set motor that I was using for another application and I remember that it's spec plate stated it made 20HP, but the application I was using it in needed a minimum of 35 HP and that engine did just fine.

So what does the MEP003A engine REALLY put out for HP? I need about 50 to 60 HP, so if this engine won't do it, feel free to offer suggestions. The budget is tight or I'd go for a 4BT Cummins!

Thanks!

1800 Diesel

Being not at ALL familiar with military things, I was wondering if someone could school me on the engines used in the MEP003A gen sets.

I have a need for a stationary engine to power a fire wood processor I am building and came across the engine only from one of these units. The spec sheet states that the engine only produces 17 HP. I know that the miltary under-rates most of it's stuff, but that seems low even for them. I have a 140 cubic inch Perkins in a loader and that makes 70 HP.

About ten years ago I had a Teldyne 4A084-4, 4 cylinder military gen set motor that I was using for another application and I remember that it's spec plate stated it made 20HP, but the application I was using it in needed a minimum of 35 HP and that engine did just fine.

So what does the MEP003A engine REALLY put out for HP? I need about 50 to 60 HP, so if this engine won't do it, feel free to offer suggestions. The budget is tight or I'd go for a 4BT Cummins!

Thanks!
You didn't mention RPM needed, but assume you're not looking for a high-speed diesel. One of my other hobbies is working on antique tractors and besides the Farmall Cubs, Super A & 140 models we also have a few diesel Fords with the 172 cubic inch 4 cylinder engine. This is a very strong diesel rated at somewhere close or above 50 HP. If you could come across one of these engines I believe it would make a good candidate. The Massey Ferguson tractors also used several different models in the Perkins family that would fit the bill. So what I'm saying is that you may come across a good deal on a used tractor with a running or rebuildable engine instead of buying an engine outright.

BTW, the 4BT Cummins stock is over 100HP and with mods will easily put out 200+ HP so that one would be overkill for your needs and as you already know--not cheap! Good luck with your project.

Last edited:

jbk

i dont think the the 003 engine will do, i thought max. hp. was 18.5. the 004 hercules D198 engine makes 44 hp. at 2000 rpm might squeeze 50 out of it. or the 005 D298

Last edited:

chaikwa

You didn't mention RPM needed, but assume you're not looking for a high-speed diesel. One of my other hobbies is working on antique tractors and besides the Farmall Cubs, Super A & 140 models we also have a few diesel Fords with the 172 cubic inch 4 cylinder engine. This is a very strong diesel rated at somewhere close or above 50 HP. If you could come across one of these engines I believe it would make a good candidate. The Massey Ferguson tractors also used several different models in the Perkins family that would fit the bill. So what I'm saying is that you may come across a good deal on a used tractor with a running or rebuildable engine instead of buying an engine outright.

BTW, the 4BT Cummins stock is over 100HP and with mods will easily put out 200+ HP so that one would be overkill for your needs and as you already know--not cheap! Good luck with your project.
Thanks! I'm open to suggestions at this point.

i dont think the the 003 engine will do, i thought max. hp. was 18.5. the 004 hercules D198 engine makes 44 hp. at 2000 rpm might squeeze 50 out of it. or the 005 D298
Where might I look for one of those?

wciguy

The civilian version of the 003 engine is rated at about 32hp at 1800rpm. Just need the adjust the stop screw on the pump lever to allow more fuel delivery.

jbk

Thanks! I'm open to suggestions at this point.

Where might I look for one of those?
their on the surplus market same as the 003 engine. or you could aquire the gen. set for the engine and recoup some of the cost through selling off the parts . also the 400 hertz models that use these eng. might go cheap.

jbk

View attachment MILHDBK633.pdf
The civilian version of the 003 engine is rated at about 32hp at 1800rpm. Just need the adjust the stop screw on the pump lever to allow more fuel delivery.
the onan master service manual spec. sheet page 3-3 rates the djc engine at 17.9 hp. at 2000 rpm
the 003 is rated 18 hp. 5000 ft. tm5-6115-585-12 page 1-7
found this document list specs. for mil. gens. differs a little from the tm, states 003 20 hp. 1800 rpm
the 005 has a six cyl. herc. eng. making 57 hp. at 1800 rpm. theirs a fatory rebuilt one on ebay now item # 321033447907

Last edited:

wciguy

View attachment 403687 the onan master service manual spec. sheet page 3-3 rates the djc engine at 17.9 hp. at 2000 rpm
the 003 is rated 18 hp. 5000 ft. tm5-6115-585-12 page 1-7
found this document list specs. for mil. gens. differs a little from the tm, states 003 20 hp. 1800 rpm
the 005 has a six cyl. herc. eng. making 57 hp. at 1800 rpm. theirs a fatory rebuilt one on ebay now item # 321033447907
In my Onan Master manual, the DJC is listed as only 120 cubic inches displacement. The MEP003a engine is 140 cu.in. I used the RDJF and MDJF, which are each 140 Cu. In. engines for my estimate of power available.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks