• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

MEP-003a Got Her Home and running

iam4thapack

Well I purchased this generator over a month back and due to bad roads I haven't been able to get it to my home. I didn't want to make the misses mad by tearing up the yard with the truck and trailer. I went ahead and did a filter/lube change on it. I haven't changed the fuel filters just yet but that is on my list of things to do. I did drain the bowls on all 3 of the canisters and none had any water in them. The original oil was black but did not smell nor did I see any water in it from condensation. I did have to retrofit a couple of group 31 batteries into it for starting purposes. The 6TL replacements were just too expensive for my blood! Yeah I am cheap but group 31 batteries will work just fine for my application. This unit will not be used mobile so I did not have to worry about that.

I have installed a Solargizer to keep the batteries tended and desulphated during periods of non use. I have my panel wired up and ready to go now all I need is a long piece of SO or SOOW cable to make up the interconnect. I took a few pictures of my install on that and they are below. The receptacle is a 3 phase Hubbell 26410 and the male connector is a Hubbell 26419. These are 4 wire connectors and will work nicely for my single phase 240V setup. I have labeled each wire into the receptacle and know what X, Y, and Z are respectively in my setup. I have this wired up as a Non Separately Derived System. I still have to remove the Neutral to Ground bonding wire on the generator end but I will do that tomorrow.

My panel is a Siemens and they make a nice OEM interlock kit for a reasonable price. If you have a panel setup like mine you may want to look into this. They are listed in the link below:

EDIT: The link posted here was dead. Try looking for the Kit mentioned below.

My kit was a ECSBPK05 and was only $15 from the local Siemens electrical supply house. The Hubbell connectors were sourced off of eBay for under $90 new for both.

As always comments or questions are welcomed..

Attachments

Last edited by a moderator:

Speddmon

Blind squirrel rehabiltator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
That's a very nice set-up you have there. I like to see a nice clean installation like that. It's safe, effective and neat and clean, just the way it should be. That generator should give you years of service. :beer:

iam4thapack

While we are on the subject of the MEP-003a does anyone know of a source for a nice cover/tarp for these? I have found the usual gray tarps work fine but I would like to have something a little more rugged to put over the unit. I know this will require me to relocate my Solargizer panel but that is no biggie. I have looked at HMMWV covers and a few others as well. I figured someone on here has been down this road before and might be able to offer some assistance on this part of my journey...

Thanks as always... :)

glcaines

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Very nice installation! It looks like you did a very good job on your genset installation. Congratulations on getting a good genset.

iam4thapack

iam,

What type of plug are you using to hook the generator to the house transfer switch (50 amp?)?
The actual plug is a 60A plug that is made by Hubbell. I found mine on eBay a month or so back. I got both the plug and receptacle for under $75. The male connector, that I will install on my SO extension cable hooked to the generator, is a Hubbell 26419. The receptacle, that is in the photographs, is a Hubbell 26410. The box is a Hubbell piece as well. All of the part #'s are in this link below:

http://www.hubbellonline.com/wiring/bryant/pdf/h/h48.pdf

You may have to search to find a good deal, like I did, but if you have a 4 wire single phase 240V setup this will work nicely. Just remember to make yourself a list of how the receptacle is wired up so you can make the male plug the same. These are intended for a 3 phase 4 wire setup but nothing says you can't use them for this application as long as you pay attention to what you are doing.

You do not have to do it this way but I wired mine up like this:

Ground - Green
Black 120V Hot- X
Red 120V Hot - Y
White Neutral - Z

There are several other nice choices of 60A plugs and receptacles on fleabay at the moment that would work just as well. My setup is wired as a Non Separately Derived System. You can find information on that here if you are not familiar with what setup will work for you.

http://www.steelsoldiers.com/auxillary-equipment/40290-mep-003a-hook-up-question.html

I can't claim any responsibility for anyone choosing to use this plug, like I have, and wiring it up incorrectly etc. I know it works just fine for my application.

glcaines

Steel Soldiers Supporter
You may want to check out pin and sleeve connectors made by SCAME. I purchased a 100-amp pin and sleeve connector assembly from elecDirect.com for a really good price. Their phone number is 800-701-0975.

SCM4100C12W IP67 Connector 100A 125/250VAC 3P 4W Watertight
SCM4100B12W IP67 Inlet 100A 125/250VAC 3P 4W Watertight
673500 Watertight cover for 100 Amp inlet

saddamsnightmare

February 23rd, 2010.

Gents:

For those of you considering doing a hookup setup in the future (generator to house connection) might I also suggest that you check out Pyle-National for the plugs and receptacle units used to hook railroad passenger cars up to the standby 220 3phase systems at larger terminals? If my memory is correct, the plugs (male and female are available) and or standby boxes have 3 wire W/ground or 4 pin setups, are very waterproof, and are rated at 100 amps. They cost a little more then residential stock units, but if you were planning to draw full loads of between 60 and 100 amps for extended periods, these are better able to take the strain. They used to be used to kick over 6,10 or 30 KW Amplidynes, which have good size AC motors attached to drive them, thus the equipment had to be able to handle considerable surges.
Just a thought, better to be over equipped then under.

Iam4thapack: Nice installation, good for the ice storms you get down there now and then. It sure beats sitting in the dark getting chilled.

Cheers,

Kyle F. McGrogan:)

junkridge

Very Nice set up! I have 3 of these here I bought from GL all of them appear to have locked up engines! has anybody had this issue? They are nice sets and are complete I cant belive they are all locked up...:shock:

Floridianson

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Try and get some kind of oil down the cyl and then spin the motor reverse of what the starter turns it. This might help if it is just ring rust from mostiure or water.

Isaac-1

I bought a Kohler commercial unit from GL a couple of years ago, the muffler and exhaust had been removed and a plastic bag taped over the exhaust manifold, which had unfortunately rotted away, leaving me with a gallon or so of water in the oil pan and a lightly seized engine. There are a number of snake oil /secret recipe options, that may or may not work for you, but my attitude is what do you have to loose other than a little time. In my case I discovered the problem when I picked the unit up, the first thing I did was go by an auto parts store, drain off the water from the oil pan, and pour a magic concoction of half Automatic transmission fluid and half marvel mystery oil down the open exhaust manifold. Then let the 200+ miles of agitation on the drive home do its thing, within a week of soaking I was able to brake the engine free and get it started up. (I suggest doing the starting outside with nothing nearby that you don't mind burnt oil splattering on) I have not done anything else to the internals of that engine and it is running good today, I have only put a couple of dozen hours on it since buying it, but all seems to be good.

Ike

junkridge

Thanks for the info... I have had the injectors out and marval mystry oil and brake fluid mix in the holes for about 3 weeks now, it was just hard to believe they are all 3 that way, oil was drained when i got them what little was in engine had little to no metal contaimination, in gonna try to turn them over today..

Kevin H

Speddmon

Blind squirrel rehabiltator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I know some folks with motors for these generators that will be willing to part with them. PM me if you are interested in their info.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks