• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

MEP-003A - Has anyone put a oil pressure light on their instrument pannel?

DieselAddict

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have an ASK on my generator so its impossible to see the oil pressure gauge to know when to release the start switch. I've released it too soon a number of times and have had to start it again. In an effort to not hold it any longer than necessary but long enough for oil pressure I've considered installing an indicator that will extinguish when the oil pressure switch gets made.

Has anyone done this on their machine?

95blklsc

A light would be a good idea. I have just been flipping the top cover up and standing off to the side so I can see in. Once I see it's up to pressure I release the switch.

cuad4u

Should not be difficult. Screw a T into the engine block where the OE oil pressure switch is attached to the engine. Reinstall the OE oil pressure switch. Add a second pressure switch to the unused port on the T. This pressure switch should have one NC (normally closed) contact that opens at 5 PSI or so. Run a wire from a point where 24V is switched ON when the master start switch is activated to one terminal of the new light installed on the panel. Then run a second wire from the other terminal on the new light to one terminal on the newly installed pressure switch. Run another wire from the second screw terminal on the newly installed pressure switch to ground. When you turn the master switch to PRIME and then to START the light will glow. When the engine starts and when you release the master switch to RUN the panel light will illuminate until the newly installed pressure switch with NC contacts "sees" 5 PSI oil pressure. When that happens the NC contacts will OPEN which will open the ground which will extinguish the light.

Last edited:

Triple Jim

When starting my 003A, if I think it's time to release the start switch, I'll do it very briefly first. If I don't hear any change, I'll release it. If there is a momentary misfire and slight drop in speed, I hold it longer. As long as the engine doesn't slow down enough for the speed switch to allow the starter to engage, there's no problem. In cold weather, the oil pressure switch on this generator takes longer to respond to the engine oil pressure, and this procedure avoids needing to start it again.

Not that being able to see the oil pressure on the panel is a bad thing.

Last edited:

DieselAddict

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I'm debating on whether I put a light on there or maybe a small pressure gauge. The more I think about it the more a gauge makes sense.

Assuming I can work it in. I think I could if I updated it to the digital gauge set for current and voltage... Hm..

Suprman

Supporting Vendor
On the laundry trailers the onboard mep-003a has a second oil pressure gage mounted under the control box. It's not easy access to the standard location when it's mounted on the laundry setup.

Bill W

Hey guys
The starter on the 002 & 3's already have a pressure bypass switch to which automacticly kicks off power to the starter once oil pressure comes up ( engine running) so ( if switch is working correctly ) your not going to grind the starter by over cranking on start up., remember the starter switch is also used as a reflash switch for the genset which has to be running to work . With that being said I also have a ASK and would like to move the OP gauge to a more visable location

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks