• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

mep 003a high DC voltage

Sundance

Started my MEP-003a today for its monthly checkup and my DC voltage is all of a sudden high. Typically the meter shows high yellow zone and voltage to the batteries at around 24.5 volts. Today after running a few minutes I noticed the meter reading into the red zone and checked the voltage at the batteries....33.5 volts. Shut her down and will try again tomorrow to see what I get.

In the meantime any thoughts?

Carl_in_NH

TM5-6115-585-12 has information on testing this module. The -34 TM doesn't have anything more useful. Can't remember if I've seen a detailed schematic of this regulator module before (the AC regulator schematic is in the TMs - but I can't seem to find the DC unit).

I'll take another look and see if there's any more help to be had. Can't remember if this is a sealed / potted unit or not. If not, there's some hope - if sealed, then it's off in search of used parts you go.

Speddmon

Blind squirrel rehabiltator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Carl, it's sealed...

Don't loose hope yet...I stumbled across the OEM today for both the starter and DC voltage regulators for the MEP-003/002a's while looking for other things. They are still in business, and I'm going to put in a call tomorrow during business hours to see if it's still available. I'll post back with more information when I have it.

Speddmon

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Well,
I heard back from the OEM for the DC voltage regulators...Southern Automotive Wholesalers, Inc.

Here is the e-mail I recieved from them.

I looked at the page, and they want $129 for it...I think it's kind of high, but unless you can find it used somewhere....what choice do you have. For that kind of money I think I would be trying to adapt some other 24 volt regulator to the set.

But this is what I found.

Carl_in_NH

I'm suspect it's a rectifier for the AC output of the alternator, and a voltage regulator cobbled together into a little package. It's something you can build yourself - but by the time you design it, buy parts, built it, test it, weatherproof it, and mount it on the genset you have to ask if you didn't spend at least $130 worth of your time in doing the task.

If you've got a good junk box of electronic parts in your collection and enjoy doing the work there's no reason not to build one yourself. If you just want it to work, it's probably worthwhile to just buy one from a used or new parts source.

Speddmon

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
That's good to know, but for $30 extra bucks, I think I would buy the new one.

If Delks only wanted $50 or $60 maybe a good deal, but it's not much more to buy new.