• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

MEP-003a ip control shaft leak

dirtman

How difficult is it to replace the injector pump control shaft o-ring? The drawing looks like you can remove two screws and pull the shaft out. can this be done without pulling the pump? this machine has 340 hrs and runs fine as far as i can tell. haven't put any real load on it yet, a 500 watt light is all that has been conected so far.

Carl_in_NH

How much does it leak? A drop now and then is OK - and mentioned in the IP manual, IIRC; a little weeping is what lubricates the fuel adjustment.

This isn't easy to remove with the pump in place - just no way to swing tools in the tight area. The pump, however, is really easy to remove and reinstall. The TMs have the information you'll need to retime it, and it's a very simple process. I've replaced the pump on my 003A, so sing out if you need help.

Removing and replacing the pump will also require that you use the 1/2" crows-foot that's been rattling around in the bottom of your toolbox for the last 30 years. I believe it's the only time I've had to use mine.

dirtman

Carl thanks for your reply. I ran the pumps without starting the engine and several drops per minute were dripping from the control shaft. With the engine running it's hard to tell what the leak rate is with all the air blowing across the ip. I'll wait until warmer weather and after observing it closely before doing anything.
The ambac.net site has better details on the pump under the technical data sheets than the tm download I have.
This site is a wealth of knowledge and everyone is willing to help out.

Carl_in_NH

The manuals on the AMBAC site are great references for the pump itself. Much of the inforamation in the TM is verbatim from AMBAC where the pump is concerned.

I'd let it run a little and see how it does; might just be dry or deformed O-ring(s) that will get a little better once submerged in fuel for awhile - but be prepared to remove and replace them in the spring. Since nothing gets hot anywhere near there, it's likely all the little extra fuel would do is make a little bit of a mess.

The parts prices from AMBAC are very high (IMO), but they will give you 25% off the list when you call them up and give them a credit card. I called around and found that for a lot of small parts I couldn't get the AMBAC diesel service shops / dealers to give as good a discount as AMBAC would give directly. When you're ordering a couple O-rings and the total comes to twenty or thirty bucks it's one thing, but when you start needing parts like a timing button and find the price before discount is $75, yikes - and that's an 'inexpensive' part. The delivery valve assembly was $320. Double yikes.

If you find something you need while working on the pump give me a shout - I've got a pump that came on my genset that's a source of parts now, since I ended up replacing my pump. Might be able to help you out where AMBAC would be really spendy.