• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

MEP 003A, is it worth the extra $$$ for the ASK?

Polycop

There are a couple of 003a's withing a couple of hundred miles of my house (driving distance). One has the ASK (Acoustic Suppression Kit) and the other doesn't. The one with the kit is about $400 more than the other. Is it worth the extra $400? My nearest neighbor is 600 feet or so through some woods so I don't 'think' it's that big of deal but still wanted to ask...

Carl_in_NH

Perhaps; when the power is out, it doesn't really matter how much noise it makes - just as long as it keeps making noise and power. The 003A I've got doesn't have the ASK - and I can live with it and the noise it makes.

If it were me and I didn't already own an MEP-003A, I'd purchase the one with the ASK for the extra money - provided they are in the same shape.

Speddmon

Blind squirrel rehabiltator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The noise factor is relative. If your neighbors are that far away, I wouldn't spend the cash on it. I don't really think mine are that loud (neither has the ASK). When I'm running it and have the house buttoned up in the winter or have the A/C on in the summer, I can barely hear it. Who cares what the neighbors think!! They'll be the ones begging to borrow it when the power is out for a week so they can get their freezers cold again.

rat4spd

I have one with the ASK. Getting at things is a PITA, but I like it. The neighbors like it, I guess? None of your neighbors will care when they are worrying about their lights being off.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Wow, you guys surprise me with those comments. One of my closest neighbors had an old generator that was extremely loud(old Briggs engine), it was so loud I could not hear my own generator running(older Onan motorhome genset, or my Honda euc2000). He recently replaced it with a Chinese knockoff type genset that is almost unheard (at my back door). I have since, purchased and use an Mep-002. I have asked him if my Mep-002 is loud or annoying to them. I fully understand the need for power with whatever you have or can afford, but after listening to his old genset, I really appreciate his new generator(sound level). He said he doesnt really notice the Mep-002 running, from inside his house.

Carl_in_NH

DH, the key may be the MEP operating RPM; those little 3600 RPM units (typical Briggs) are screamers and are annoying to listen to - but the 1800 RPM diesel MEP isn't nearly as bad, IMO. Loud the MEPs are - but the difference in 'tone' from the operating RPM being 1/2 the Briggs speed makes all the difference in how easy the noise is to live with.

Speddmon

Blind squirrel rehabiltator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
DH, I can appreciate the sentiments about having a neighbor with a loud generator. I guess I'm just spoiled in the fact that I have no neighbors! You've been to Kipman's farm...he has neighbors closer to him than I do. And at 600 feet (through trees) from the OP, I don't think the noise is going to be an issue. You said it yourself, that your neighbor doesn't really notice your 002 running from inside his house.

m38inmaine

My two concerns with the ASK are the access to the set and heat. Being an air cooled set I would think it would be best to let it breath as much as possible, I think it will last longer. No, I would not pay more more for the ASK, would rather pay more for less hours, trailer etc. Now if it was a TQG I would leave it as is as they were purpose built that way.

Last edited:

ken

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I'm with mark. I pulled the kit off of my 016 thinking it might run hot in texas weather. And you can't tell much difference in noise level. My 003 reminds me of a ice cream truck. It isn't loud but the sound carries on for miles. My nearest neighbor is 250 feet away. And the other is about 700. I can hear it well at thier houses. So i put up some 4X8 sheets of plywood around it as a barrier. About 25 feet away from it. That deflected the sound alot. The army sandbags them to reduce the noise a bit. I might try that around the plywood and see if that helps.

Isaac-1

One thing to keep in mind is the human ear is a very poor detector of how loud a sound is, what people do hear is variation in sound, like the sharp pulsating note of a one cylinder engine vs. the smooth rumble of a big inline 6. People may think the pop-pop-pop of the one cylinder is louder until they try to talk in the presence of the big smooth roaring inline 6 (12, 16 whatever) and they realize they can see peoples lips moving, but can't hear anything even when shouting. Secondly some people are a lot more sensitive than others to long time exposure to constant sounds like generators running during multi-day power outages, or while they are trying to go to sleep. An easy test of this is try running a lawn mower outside before sunrise on a Saturday morning if the neighbors / wife does not complain about that then chances are you are safe running a 5-10KW generator without the ASK the larger MEP-003 generator is, the louder and therefore the sound will travel more, but also make the smoother sound which will be somewat less anoying. In the end its up to you, I know I personally would not want a MEP-002/003 with or without an ASK running outside by bedroom window, a hundred or so feet away behind the shed in the back yard is another matter. If you have plenty of land and decide the non ASK version is too loud, that $400 will buy a good bit of wire to move it farther away from the house at a later date.

Nonotagain

I have an old Radio Shack handheld acoustic sound level meter (aka dB meter).

My MEP-003 emits 92dB @ 25' when warmed up sitting in my driveway. When I place it inside of the acoustic shed housing I built onto my storage shed the sound level drops to less than 70dB.

The military trailer laundry units surrounded the generator on one side and the top with acoustic sound panels. The panels are a perforated aluminum face sheet with some type of polyester or fiberglass spun fiber product inside of and aluminum box. Approximate dimensions are 2 feet wide by 3 feet tall by 6 inches thick. The construction of these panels mimics the acoustic treatment that we use in building large jet engine trust reversers.

The mechanical noise emitted by the MEP series generators is almost as loud as the exhaust noise. I have two sets of the stainless steel flex pipes that came with the laundry units and attached a couple of the surplus mufflers sold by Coleman's Surplus. Without the mufflers it's 92dB @ 25' with the mufflers it drops to 84dB.

I don't have readings of the generator inside the housing with the mufflers installed since I still need to figure out where to wind 15' of flex hose without contacting the generator or housing.

I like the appearance of the ASK kit, but feel that the lack of access to perform routine service will cause a premature demise to my gen set.

atankersdad

In Memorial
In Memorial
I am building a shed to house 2 003's. That should get it quiet enough for me. my neighbors are all 750 feet away.
I just want to protect them from the elements along with creating a sound barrier. When running, the 110 outlet will
pull fresh air into the shed. Both will exhaust outside through stainless flex hose into mufflers.