• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

MEP-003a Running Hot 400+ degrees

jamawieb

This is a first for me, I just received a MEP-003a for GL with low hours and I'm having a problem with it running hot (400+ degrees). On the fuel tank it was written "A Service 01-13-2009", looks like they put a new injection pump, glow plugs, and 1 new injector in it. It started ok and smoked from the rear exhaust pretty bad (the furthest from the blower end). After about 5 minutes the smoke died down and the cooling fins started to open under the exhaust. Decided to put a load on it. It ran great, the smoke cleared but after about 3 minutes with 80 percent load the unit shut off and would not restart. I used my temp gun and shot the temperature of the front head it was 419 degrees and the rear was 400 degrees. Shot the temp right below the head on the fins and the front was 289 and the rear was 269. I was thinking that I may have an injector leaking or putting to much fuel into the cylinder but I don't have wet stacking on the end of the exhaust. I also took the valve covers off and everything looks good, nothing out of the ordinary. Thank you in advance!

Jimc

take a look at the cooling fins on the cylinders. many of these generators can rust pretty bad. i have seen the air passages between the fins completely clogged from flaking paint and rust. another thing i have seen is that these things can have a ton of paint on them. if the engine has been repainted once or twice the paint can be so thick on the fins that nothing cools properly.

jamawieb

Ok guys I found the problem. When the depot put the new injector on the generator, they placed it 180 degrees off. After taking the pump off and setting it correctly, everything is running perfect.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks