• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Mep-003a troubles

billypop

I finally started working on the 8 Mep-003a's I got out of SC a few months back. The first one (1200+hrs) started with no major issues. But I have stump my toe on the second one(sister to the first one, same trailer). I have cleaned the fuel system from the tank to the IP. The first two times I cranked it took a lot of cranking. Each time I got no smoke during cranking and when it fire it was instant. Then for two day I could not crank it at all - no white smoke lead me to believe no fuel to the injectors. I then found out about the check valve and cleaned it but was not the problem. Took the end of IP out and cleaned (nothing visable) - cracked out going IP line and got a little spurt as I cranked????? Then put it back together and it cranked right up. Let it run for a few minutes and shut it down. Then, it would not crank! Solenoid is pulling in each time. I just cannot figure out why the intermittant starting????? I've never worked on anything like these before, so I need all the help I can get!
Thanks in advance!

Last edited:

Isaac-1

This is just a guess, but maybe the plunger in the injection pump is sticking, crack one of he high pressure lines at the injector and see if it is getting fuel, also check for clogged return lines building up back pressure. By cranking do you mean it does not turn over or does not start?

Ike

Last edited:

glcaines

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Are you sure the solenoid is going all the way? Make sure the solenoid and linkage are completely clean. I sprayed carburettor cleaner on mine when it was sticking. I still sometimes have to manually pull on the linkage if it sticks.

coyote62ny

check the fuel shut off solenoid above the ip make shure it is all the way up try holding it up while cranking also these sets require preheat even in warm temps i have to preheat my 003 even when its 80 outside

coyote62ny

the fuel solenoid should pull up when you turn on the master switch if itdoesnt go up away from the fuel lever it wont start clean with carb cleaner and make shure it moves you should also get the tms they help a lot and have all the test info you will need

billypop

Well back to the problem I HAD. It turns out to be the linkage was sticking when the solenoid pull away. A little WD40 some careful adjusting - its starts each time I try now!!! 2 down 6 more to go! I think I must have gotten a pretty good deal on these units. SCSG must have really looked after them cause I have not had to do much to them to get them going. (I hope I don't have to eat those words.) But tomorrow is another day and another generator! Thank for all your help it saves a lot of time asking people with the knowledge!:D:D:D:D:beer::jumpin::jumpin::jumpin::jumpin:

coyote62ny

you may want to really check the dc charging system on each set this has been a problem that a lot of people have had put a good volt meter across the batteries and watch the voltage it should be 27.5 to 28.5 or so volts mine would start out at 28.5 volts and then in about 30 minutes climb to 32 volts and that will cook the batteries hope this helps you

billypop

I did check it before I read your post. It was 25.7 and rising. I did not check after 25.9. Should I do further testing. I thought it was just charging the battery?

coyote62ny

i would let the set run put a load on it and the volt meter across the batteries and let it run and watch the volt meter sometimes it takes a while but it should stop rising at about 28.5 volts if it gets up to 30 volts you have most likly got a bad dc voltage regulator mine would go up to 32 volts in about 45 minutes you dont want it charging much over 28.5 volts at 30 or more volts it wont take long to cook the batteries

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks