• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

MEP-003A

Chainbreaker

Also, XPD instructions say to make sure that both the fuel you are adding it to and Optilube itself are above the 40F cloud point. If the fuel, or the Optilube itself, is below 40F when added it will not mix properly when combined together. If the jug of Optilube is below 40F it says to bring into 70F heated environment for 24 hrs before use. It also recommends in winter to mix it when refueling at the pump as the underground tanks will maintain fuel above 40F. Not to mention the better mixing action you get by doing it while refilling.

If you can't add it at the pump by pouring into an empty fuel can while refueling, you can add it to your already fueled genset's day tank and/or Auxiliary tank and stir it with a long paint stir-stick, or whatever you can use, to cause the fuel to swirl & mix with additive as best you can. Be sure to pull the fuel tank strainer screen first, if your tank has one, to facilitate better mixing action.

A good time to treat an already fueled genset, assuming all is above 40F, would be right before a monthly test run to get the additive introduced all the way through the fuel system along with the benefit received from running circulation & warming effect of any fuel returning to day tank via return line.

Last edited:

Johncar48

So, thanks to Ray I got the IP back and installed. Fired up the unit and it was hard to start, blew blue smoke and just ran poorly...so after conversation with Ray it was determined I set the timing 180* off. Even though I had the pointer directly on the PC mark and the 1/8" drill bit in the IP timing hole it was 180* off. So Pulled IP and retimed and all is good. Ray sent me a pic of where the cam lobes should be BEFORE reinstalling the IP but I cannot upload the photo. Perhaps Ray can for it really helped. Thanks again to everyone for all your help and input.
BTW, if anyone has an over heat thermo switch I need a new one. Don't like the idea of having mine bypassed. Be happy to purchase it if you have one.

Ray70

Hi John,
Sorry for the delay, I was away on vacation and for once... decided to avoid my computer while I was gone.
Here's the picture you were talking about for everyone else.
With the engine set with "PC" at the pointer on the flywheel, this is what you should see through the IP opening.
The cam lobe towards the right is #1 intake valve. It should be pointing outward and down as shown. In this picture the cam has already opened and closed the #1 intake valve and the piston is compressing the mixture on its way up to TDC and is currently at the Port Closing position, ready to install your IP with a 1/8" drill through the access hole and into the slot in the side of the drive gear.
Glad we got you back up and running. Now just keep up with fuel treatment and routine exercise.
Seems this low sulfur fuel is wreaking havoc on a lot of these pumps lately.
IMG_1372.JPG

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks