• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

MEP-003A

rlegare44

I have an MEP-003A Diesel Gen. Master switch will turn engine over, but will not make prime, or Prime run noise, so I assume the fuel pump is not working. Have checked everything except replacing anything. Worked when first attempted but then quit. Solution anyone?

Scoobyshep

Find the 2 main fuel pumps (one is to fill the tank). There is a quick disconnect, unplug it and see if you have 24 volts to chassis with the switch in run. If you have power pump needs help. No power we gotta dig deeper.

Sent from my SM-S908U using Tapatalk

Ray70

If it hasn't been run in a while and you have 24V at the pumps as Scoobyshep mentioned, the internals of the pumps are surely gummed up and stuck.
They are 99% of the time pretty easy to disassemble clean and be good to go again.
If by chance you still have issues I usually have rebuilt pumps available.

Guyfang

Staff member
After checking for 24 volts at the female E-Pump plug, if you have 24 VDC take a wire and jump from the positive battery terminal to the male E-Pump plug. If it wont run, the problem might be the RFI capacitor. Cut it out of the cable and splice the cut off cable back on the wire that goes to the E-Pump. Retest. Run? Then it was the RFI Cap. Not run pump is bad.

rlegare44

Find the 2 main fuel pumps (one is to fill the tank). There is a quick disconnect, unplug it and see if you have 24 volts to chassis with the switch in run. If you have power pump needs help. No power we gotta dig deeper.

Opened both fuel pumps, filters clean and with air hose, air flows freely through lines. Have a 24V reading at the quick disconnect. Still no sound from master switch that pumps are priming. Never had this happen before out of 49.

Scoobyshep

Opened both fuel pumps, filters clean and with air hose, air flows freely through lines. Have a 24V reading at the quick disconnect. Still no sound from master switch that pumps are priming. Never had this happen before out of 49.
If you have 24volt at the quick disconnect wother the suppression capacitor is burnt out, the pump is jammed, or the pump is burnt out.

The capacitor can be removed and bypassed (see Guys comment above).

The pump needs further disassembly and cleaned

Or pump needs replaced

The disassembly and cleaning is very easy and I prefer taking it to a work bench. Remove the end cap and filter, there is a check ball in a tube, remove the retainer clip (be careful there is a spring behind it). Remove ball assembly and spring. There is a long metal plunger past the spring. This will get gummed and jammed. Ive had them come out as easy as a few taps on the top, and as hard as blowing 120psi of compressed air through the pump discharge (plunger launch imminent). After my ears stopped ringing and I was able to dig the plunger out of the Sheetrock, I cleaned it with brake parts cleaner and got it moving smoothly in the bore. Reassemble and test.

Ray70

By cleaning the filter and blowing air through you have only done 10% of the job.
You have to remove the funny clip, take out the check ball assembly and then knock out the plunger and spring assembly.
99% of the time if it's not clicking it's because the plunger is gummed up and unable to float freely within the center tube.

rlegare44

After checking for 24 volts at the female E-Pump plug, if you have 24 VDC take a wire and jump from the positive battery terminal to the male E-Pump plug. If it wont run, the problem might be the RFI capacitor. Cut it out of the cable and splice the cut off cable back on the wire that goes to the E-Pump. Retest. Run? Then it was the RFI Cap. Not run pump is bad.
If the pumps a clogged, does that prevent the master switch from clicking? Just trying to understand the working sequence.

Scoobyshep

If the pumps a clogged, does that prevent the master switch from clicking? Just trying to understand the working sequence.
The switch should only click once per position you move it to, from what you described with 24 volt to the pump qd and no noise indicates a pump problem.

A clogged pump may click very slowly. A gummed pump won't click at all.

What you are hearing with the clicks is the plunger inside slamming back and forth from spring pressure and electromagnetism.

Scoobyshep

If they are actually bad, yes both. Why are you running a wire from the battery to the pump? Didn't you verify power to the pump quick disconnect?

These are still available, but they can be quite costly. Not to mention the odds of all 3 failing together is slim.

rlegare44

The switch should only click once per position you move it to, from what you described with 24 volt to the pump qd and no noise indicates a pump problem.

A clogged pump may click very slowly. A gummed pump won't click at all.

What you are hearing with the clicks is the plunger inside slamming back and forth from spring pressure and electromagnetism.
Ok, to back up a bit. One rreply suggested I run a wire from + to the pump cap. My meter when reading battery V locked in at 24V. When I checked the quick disconnect plug the meter fluxuated all over the place way to high, but for a second it read 24V. I was going to try the wire to bat. + just to see if anything happened. If the pump is clogged, would that cause the emergency shut off breaker to kick out?

Scoobyshep

Ok, to back up a bit. One rreply suggested I run a wire from + to the pump cap. My meter when reading battery V locked in at 24V. When I checked the quick disconnect plug the meter fluxuated all over the place way to high, but for a second it read 24V. I was going to try the wire to bat. + just to see if anything happened. If the pump is clogged, would that cause the emergency shut off breaker to kick out?
I've never seen a pump clog cause the circuit breaker trip. That is a classic sign of capacitor failure.

Do this for me so I make sure that we're on the same page unplug the fuel pumps from the generator place the set in run and prime and two of those pumps should have 24 volts to chassis in the aux position all three should have 24 volts to chassis do you have these readings?

With the set in the aux fuel position plug in pumps one by one if the circuit breaker trips that pump needs service for sure

Scoobyshep

Also for reference I wouldn't run a wire directly from the battery to whatever you're testing because you're relying on absolutely no over current protection so if you have something badly shorted to ground you're going to find out very quickly and very burny. Just something to keep in mind

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks