• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Mep 004aas 15kw gen, first time using it "help"

rpgiants1

Hello
Im new to the site, and i was hoping some one could help
me with my gen.
its running fine, the only thing is the volt meter is reading 120v but my Hz meter is reading 0.
Should there be a Hz readig on the meter before theres a draw of power?
the main dial is set to L3-L1.
120 out let works and im able to run a drill, but i have not plugged in the the main power cable to my shelter yet.
i was wondering is there anything else i should do before i start pluging it in and im not even shure if the main cable is pumping any juice.
I also was reading that by adjusting the throttle it should adjust the 50hz to 60hz. I want to make sure im doing things right before i start.

Am i missing something here?
thanks .:smile:

rosco

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The first thing you need to do, is get a good multi-meter. One that has the Hz function. (I prefer a clamp type meter - it has the capacity to do current as well). Then you can start (with the meter) conveying better, what your set is doing. There will probably be some "heavyies" that will pick this up with their comments. In short, that Hz meter can be the problem., as well as corrision on the lugs on the switches. Thoes can be checked with a meter though, to see where your at. Don't idle the set - keep it at the rated RPM.

Isaac-1

HZ meters are common failure points on all the MEP series generators, like rosco suggested you may want to buy a good multimeter with a HZ setting, note I said GOOD, some of the cheaper ones with HZ settings can be thrown off by the waveform from a generator and may read fine on line power, but give insane numbers when connected to a generator. One surprisingly cheap option is the "Kill-a-watt" meters, particularly the basic cheap $20 Kill-a-watt- P4400 these tend to come in very handy for basic generator testing as they have a surprisingly robust HZ meter (note some of the fancier Kill-a-watt meters lack the important HZ function). Clamp style meters with HZ frequency function can be nice, but again good ones are expensive, and most clamp meters require a running load of at least a few amps connected to the line being measured to work in clamp on frequency mode.

Ike

Last edited:

skidunits4you

Steel Soldiers Supporter
You will need to check the HZ meter as they have said. Also with a volt meter check the output on the main lugs 120/208 if you are set for 208. When you start the unit are you holding the start switch until volt and Hz meter flash and then let go of it so it excites properly?

derf

The frequency meter is a complicated contraption on the MEPs. It may be the reason you own your gen. They usually get DRMO'd for some minor reason or other.
To answer your question there should always be a Hz reading. You set the gen speed by the Hz reading.
There is a gauge and a little black box (transducer, maybe?) that make up the Hz meter.

rpgiants1

Im getting some very good feed back, I'll post the video of it running.
When i turn it on i see the HZ meter jump and drop, the Volt Meter kicks in at 120
Then i let go of the on switch.
Just to let every 1 know i have it set to the lowest ideling point, i was not sure if i should kick it into high gear.
MEP_004AAS 15K.3GP - YouTube

:driver:

derf

If you get away from 1800RPM the Hz meter will not read very well. Have you adjusted your engine speed up and down to see if it makes a difference. You may need to focus on RPMs.

derf

I'm no expert but I think you should turn your adjustment knob and get that thing turning much faster.

skidunits4you

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The freq adjust will not do anything as a single unit, You MUST throttle the unit up. DO NOT let it idle. Voltage reg will burn up if you let it idle. start it flash it throttle it up to 60 62 HZ . I maintain 10 MEPs generator do NOT let it idle.

derf

Listen to this one:
[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EsHsW1x_PLQ[/media]

Do you have the TM? There should be a knob you turn to adjust the RPMs. Turn it, make the motor turn faster and see if you Hz meter doesn't start working when you get around 1800RPM.

rpgiants1

Darn i hope i did not brake anything, it was ideling for 30min no more than 1 hour.
Its been sitting for 1 year and i wanted to make sure it was ready before i turned it on.
Thanks every one, i'll push the adjustment knob much faster when i get back.

rpgiants1

Thanks Derf for the video, skid thanks for letting me know NOT to idle it on LOw RPM.
i had it idleing at its lowest point from the video i can tell that i should kick it up.

I will return when i get the results in.
Every one, thanks for the tips.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks