• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

MEP-005A Fuel in Engine Oil

jamboly

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have diesel fuel getting in to my engine oil on my MEP-005A Gen set. I have read the other posts, most of which point to the FDC, which this gen set does not have. It has a White 6 cyl diesel engine. The most likely source is the injection pump seal. Does anyone have any hints on how to check the IP seal without tearing the pump down?

Jim

wciguy

Had the same problem on one of mine. Just pull the pump and replace the seal. That is the problem 99 and 44/100% of the time. Good luck. Same pump that John Deere used for years and was also used on the early GM 5.7L and 6.2L diesels. Easy to rebuild.

jamboly

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I had a shop pull the injector pump, and the seal was bad. Also had the pump rebuilt. When they put the rebuilt pump back on, the only way we could start it was with either (100 deg outside temp). The shop then rebuilt the injectors and it now starts right. It is just blowing a lot of white exhaust. I read on another post that it could be the pump timing and/or wet stacking. Does anyone have any input on what the symtoms are for wet stacking and can it be undone by running it on a heavy load. What's the possibility that the diesel in the oil caused a problem?

wciguy

Wet stacking symtoms are pretty much described in the name. Unburned fuel enters the exhaust pipe/muffler and you will get a black ooz leaking from joints and possible dripping from the exhaust system. It takes some time running at light or no load to cause the symptoms. Loading it up and running it for a while will usually dry up the exhaust.

As far as problems caused by diesel in the oil, depends on how badly the oil was diluted and how long and under what load it was run.

jamboly

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Well it's been almost a year since I made this post on diesel in the engine oil. Replacing the IP seal and rebuilding the IP fixed the problem then. We had a power outage the day before yesterday and I ran the generator for about 3 hours. The only thing I noticed was that it was blowing a lot of white exhaust. When I went to turn the gen set off, there was a "big" pool of diesel under the gen set. It was actually running out of the bottom. I finally got around to checking it out today. I started it back up and there were no obvious leaks. I let it run for about 30 minutes and there was diesel blowing around everywhere. The best I could tell was that it was coming from the front engine bearing area and somewhere around the rear of the engine. I shut it down and checked the engine oil. It was all the way to the top with almost pure diesel. So it looks like I try relacing the IP seal again. My question is, is it worth it? Have I screwed up the crank seals/engine? (Aside from diesel in the engine oil, the engine runs great, even under somewhat heavy loads.

leedawg

Well it's been almost a year since I made this post on diesel in the engine oil. Replacing the IP seal and rebuilding the IP fixed the problem then. We had a power outage the day before yesterday and I ran the generator for about 3 hours. The only thing I noticed was that it was blowing a lot of white exhaust. When I went to turn the gen set off, there was a "big" pool of diesel under the gen set. It was actually running out of the bottom. I finally got around to checking it out today. I started it back up and there were no obvious leaks. I let it run for about 30 minutes and there was diesel blowing around everywhere. The best I could tell was that it was coming from the front engine bearing area and somewhere around the rear of the engine. I shut it down and checked the engine oil. It was all the way to the top with almost pure diesel. So it looks like I try relacing the IP seal again. My question is, is it worth it? Have I screwed up the crank seals/engine? (Aside from diesel in the engine oil, the engine runs great, even under somewhat heavy loads.
What happend with this did you end up replacing it again and did it fix the problem?

I too have had this problem I bought a special tool that squeezes the seals down when you install them so you dont hurt the leading edge of the cup which can damage the seal. have you to see if it has fixed my problem I have not run the unit in awhile.