• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

MEP-005A will not start after accidentally shorting 24V circuit breaker to ground

readbranch

I Accidentally shorted the 24V circuit breaker to ground when I was replacing the rear bearing on the generator. It sparked but did not seem like a disaster. Now, however, when I put the start/run/stop switch to start I get nothing. The dc ammeter pegs to the discharge side but there is no sign of life otherwise. The engine fault lights will not come on in the run position if I try to test them. I can put a cheater line of 24V to the solenoid on the injection pump and jump the starter to make the engine run. After I get the engine started I can take the cheater 24V off the injector pump solenoid and the engine will continue running. Also, when I hit the test switch on the engine fault lights they will all light up as normal with the engine running. I took the engine control circuit board out and tested it by putting 120V on terminals 12 and 4 as is called for in the service manual. The relay chattered so I replaced the bridge rectifier on the board and that seemed to fix the problem with the relay. Re installed the circuit board but I get the same thing - nothing when I hit the start switch except the instant full discharge on the dc ammeter. After the engine is running if I put the start/run/stop switch to stop the engine will stop normally (as long as I have taken the 24V cheater off the injector pump solenoid.) Is there anyone out there that can help me troubleshoot this problem? Help - I am running out of things to try. Thanks.

readbranch

The genset is at my farm 45 mins away so I can not look at it until this weekend. If by 7.5 amp breaker you mean the push/on - pull/off breaker on the front panel, it is on. I get 24V on both sides of the breaker so unless there is a reason to get a reading on both sides with a defective breaker I think it is working. Incidentally, this is the breaker I shorted to ground by accident. (I can always bypass the breaker by connecting the two terminals just to test.) Thanks. Read

R Racing

I could be wrong. But I wonder if the mep-005a has a fuse like the mep-002a does. If so it could be blown. I would say look at the DC side in the TMsschematics.

1800 Diesel

Go to the TM (Op & Maint] & follow test process for the Start/Run/Stop switch..confirm it passes all checks..as far as I know there is no fuse for the DC side (beyond the 7 amp breaker)..