• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

MEP-006a Fuel System

wwhite

Just wanted a little clarification on the fuel system. Does this unit use diesel from the day tank and when the fuel level gets low a separate fuel pump is activated to pump fuel from the big tank to refill the day tank? Basically the unit I'm dealing with runs fine until the day tank is empty then it dies. I'm guessing the day tank float level is not working or the secondary pump is not working. Any other components I need to check? Thanks.

Guyfang

Staff member
Lets talk about the fuel system. DO read the TM's. There is a diagram depicting the system. But a little back round is good.

First off, have you ever seen the set run right? Or is it new to you?

There are several reasons this could happen to you.
1. The 3 way fuel valve is in the off position. When its in the off position, the fuel can not be sent to the day tank.
2. If the 3 way valve is set in the AUX position, and no fuel line is hooked to an aux fuel source, or the cap is on the AUX inlet, then no fuel will reach the day tank.
2. There is no secondary electric pump. There are two electric fuel pumps, (B2 and B3) that work in tandem, to provide fuel from the set tank and the AUX connection. These two pumps are all there is. If one pump fails, the second is supposed to carry on providing fuel. If one of the pumps is the wrong type, it will not allow fuel to be passed through the failed pump, and the gen set will not replenish the day tank.

The way the system is supposed to work is so. The set runs, and when the fuel level in the day tank gets low enough, the FL-1 and FL-2 switch in the day tank tells the day tank solenoid to open. When it opens, fuel is supposed to be sent to the day tank to replenish the fuel in the day tank, from the set tank, or AUX fuel source.

Will the B2 & B3 come on, when the start switch, (S2) is in the run position, and the Battle Short switch, (S7) is in the up position?