• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

MEP-007 B 100kw generator Cat 3306 coolant leak around injectors

Suprman

Supporting Vendor
I have an older MEP-007B its a 1981 I believe. I got it drained/dry it has sat for a few years. When filling the coolant I noticed alot coming out around the front most injector it was bubbling out. I couldnt find a parts breakdown tm for this gen I searched and it seems around the injectors are a precombustion chamber. And this has a coolant path around it with o-rings. Does anyone have any experience or insight into this I didnt want to just start tearing it apart.
Thanks
Will

rustystud

I have an older MEP-007B its a 1981 I believe. I got it drained/dry it has sat for a few years. When filling the coolant I noticed alot coming out around the front most injector it was bubbling out. I couldnt find a parts breakdown tm for this gen I searched and it seems around the injectors are a precombustion chamber. And this has a coolant path around it with o-rings. Does anyone have any experience or insight into this I didnt want to just start tearing it apart.
Thanks
Will
I've worked on the "Cat" engines and this O ring has been a problem before. You can replace this O ring with a "Silicone" one. It will stand up to the heat better.
I just remembered. You have to watch out for coolant etching and rust around the precombustion chamber. If you get too much rust the O ring will not seal correctly.

Last edited:

rustystud

I ordered the tool to get the chamber out. Never done it before is it a straightforward process?
It should be as long as the precombustion chamber cooperates and is not seized in due to rust. A few good blows with a heavy hammer can help loosen it up. Of course then you might also be replacing the precombustion chamber :shrugs:.

Suprman

Supporting Vendor
Do I just pull the injector then use the special tool to unscrew the chamber? Do I need anything special to pull the injector?

rustystud

Usually you can pry the injector out with a pair of heel bars. Just lift straight up, don't cock it. Then you can insert the tool to remove the chamber. It should self thread in. Sorta like a tap. Then it is pulled out by tightening up the bolts.

Suprman

Supporting Vendor
The injector came right out with my home made cummins injector puller. Old gasket was hard and falling apart. Got it all back together and running it started blowing a geyser of coolant out the radiator cap. Drained all the coolant took off the upper and lower radiator hoses and flushed the heck out of the radiator and block. Got a good amount of gunk out. I filled it with water and ran it slow to get all the air out. Hooked it up to a heater I have it only pulls around 20k but it's the biggest load I have. Ran it for half an hour or so and everything seems fine now.

image.jpg

rustystud

Glad to hear everything went OK. So you had the gasket instead of the 'O'ring ? Did you have the copper gasket between the injector and the precombustion chamber then ?

Suprman

Supporting Vendor
I had new o rings for the I injector. I had someone helping me if there was a copper gasket right on the tip end it was reused. The fuel solenoid is a little funny there is a arm above right of the solenoid it has to be moved manually into position to start the gen. I think it just needs a good clean and lube.