• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

MEP 016C with ONAN 6115-999-5675 low voltage output problem

joem1

Hi folks I recently had a chance to pick up the above named genset from an old timer who said it ran at one time years ago. I took it home pulled the carb, cleaned up the goo, bypassed the lower mounted tank / fuel lines/ filters /sediment bowls / fuel pump etc and mounted a plastic tank to the top of the frame with a fuel hose directly to the carb (gravity fed) After a few pulls on the rope she fired right up and sounded pretty sweet, no smoke with a nice even exhaust heat across the 4 exhaust manifolds. The hour meter glass was so fogged up that I couldn't make out the number of hours...initially I thought it said 1,0350ish hours but after pulling the meter and pulling the glass off the front I was pleasantly surprised to see that it was in fact only 350ish hours. However the hour meter modual was completely burnt up as though it shorted out at one time...black ash, cinders and crude is what in fact was the reason I couldn't read the hours. Long story short when I tested voltage output at the 120v receptical I'm only reading about 20volts. Having read through a few threads related to troubleshooting this gensets I went ahead and did a few things like wd-40 the variable resistor (also tested it out to be good) Flashed the exciter (+ to terminal 20 and - to 21) which didn't help although when I tried flashing it again, this time with a 12 volt car battery I thought I saw the voltage meter on the front dash swing up to good for a minute but not sure if I was seeing things. I've tried to go through the PDF tech manuals but with 100+ pages of clicking through (would have preferred to just print it out so i can highlight with a marker the relevant info) my printer is broken ugh. Would anyone mind helping me sorta walk through the various steps to run through in order to figure what's wrong ? I'm attaching a few pics of the data plates on the generator.
Thanks!

Attachments

Last edited:

joem1

I have a couple of the 4A032-4 engines in boxes if you happen to need one,
I tinker around a little bit with small engines and I have to say when I brought the generator home and got a closer look at the engine I was blown away with the detail and spare no expense mind set that went in to these little buggers. What are you asking on the motors ?

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks