• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

MEP-016D – Aux fuel system questions and Pics

445gsdss

Photo Dec 21, 10 46 22 AM.jpgPhoto Dec 21, 10 46 25 AM.jpgPhoto Dec 21, 10 44 26 AM.jpgView attachment 468818Photo Dec 21, 10 44 58 AM.jpgPhoto Dec 21, 10 45 08 AM.jpgPhoto Dec 21, 10 46 01 AM.jpg

My GL acquired MEP-016D runs fine and is generating electricity as expected. Now that I am up to speed on basics, I’m starting to expand my going over the system and have turned to looking at the aux fuel tank setup. My 16D has an underbelly plastic fuel tank that can feed the smaller red tank on the Yanmar engine.

In going over the system I noticed a couple of issues I need some help with. First, the plastic tank looks to have a small hole in it as I noticed some slight leaking onto the floor. I raised the genset up with a shop lift and think I can see why. The tank hangs via metal straps and the rubber to protect the tank seems to have vibrated out of place. (see pics) Does anyone know where (and what part #) I can use to acquire a new tank? I would also hope to find new strap bushings.

The next issue is that the aux fuel valve seems in bad shape. It was turned 180 degrees from where it should have been (according to the pic on the side of the generator) and seemed stuck. I put a small crescent wrench on it for leverage and did get it to move, but it only wants to go on one direction – counter-clockwise. I’ve left it in what is illustrated as “off” position – but since it won’t turn without unreasonable force, I’m guessing I might need to replace it? Any suggestions on where I might be able to find a replacement?

My next question is that there is a small chain to the piece with the water separator on it. What does the chain go to? (see red arrow in pic)

Finally, the aux valve seems to have a very small water separator built into it it. I took it off and it was *full* of some nasty, crunchy black crud. I’m not sure (assuming the valve might be recoverable) if the separator might be replaceable. I think I can get the crud out, but it is stained and isn’t transparent any longer.

Thanks for any suggestions or help.

44gsd

Last edited:

truck1

Nice gen set. I have the same unit. Many posts on these sets if you search, but for a quick answer to your questions, the plastic tanks usually leak at the drain plug- at least mine did. I removed the tank and flushed the tank with lacquer thinner to remove the crud. Then I epoxied over the drain valve since it was split around the threads anyway. Yes the good thing about the plastic tanks they can be epoxied and not leak. These tanks are very hard to find. The stuck fuel valve is also common. Use penetrant and SLOWLY work the valve without breaking the selector and it will loosen up. The chain holds the cover for the external fuel supply source. You can hook these units up to a 50 gallon drum and run them as long as your transfer pump is operational and the float switch works. The filter can be cleaned and the screen replaced. Napa had the screen for mine. I suggest doing a check of all the wiring in regards to the transfer fuel pump and float switch. These Yanmar conversions were done by everyone from paid gov. contractors , to 18 year old kids in uniform. So they can be correctly done or be a complete mess as mine was.

Isaac-1

You see a lot of variation in these MEP-016D's yours has the same relatively rare Walbro electric fuel pump that mine has, most have Purolator Gold-Flo pumps. Mine has a metal belly tank, and a different 3 way valve though (also stuck), the little separator with the glass bowl is left over from when it had a gasoline engine. As to the chain it should have an external fitting dust cap attached to it.

Ike

p.s. a common marine brass 3 way fuel selector valve should work on these

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks