• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

MEP-018A issues

Enginerd

I just acquired an MEP-018A genset. I had to clean a very gummed up carb but it seems to be working. Had a fouled plug but I do have spark. I just can't get it to fire. It pops, snaps, acts like it wants to start up but wont. It really is acting like when you wire the distributor wrong on a V8 or even a VW engine. In reading through the manual on the motor, a 4A84 (ARMY TM9-2805-259-14), it shows that the #1 cylinder is the cylinder, if looking from the rope pulley end, front-left. No other info it given as to what is number 2, 3, or 4. I assume the following:

-------
| gen |
| |
-------
3 |motor|4
| |
1 | | 2
-------

It doesn't look to be done the way the Germans VW engine.

The other problem is that the plug wired do not match what is shown in the manual. My magneto has the side outlets on it and the way it was wired is as follows, assuming the cylinder numbering above and looking at the 4 connection plug on the mag:

4 OO 2
3 OO 1

If you didn't guess, the 'O' represents the connections.

The manual has the a few diagrams for doing different tests and it show the following orientation (again assuming the cylinder orientation above):

2 OO 3
4 OO 1

So, being I have yet to find a diagram that shows which cylinder is which number, and being I cannot find a diagram that shown which port on the mag goes to which cylinder, does anybody have a clue on this? Is there someone with a running model that can take a picture of the plug wiring layout and send it to me so I can get this correct? Any help would be appreciated.

I know the general feeling is to trash these and buy a diesel (I already own an MEP004 15kW unit that works great) one but this is now a challenge to get it running. Even if I don't really use it, it would not be a bad backup if my 004 goes down.

Thanks in advance!

Enginerd

Ok. Found what I was looking for but I am posting the pics I found just in case any one else needs them.

05 magneto firing order.jpg010800.jpg011800.jpg11802800.jpgcyls.jpg

My wiring was wrong from the previous owner. Now I can fix it. The first pic is the mag with the side connections while the second and third pics are of the mag with the end outlet. The 4th picture shows where the cylinder number is found on some engines and the last one shows which cylinder is which.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks