• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

MEP 105A 60 KW Generator

Merlin

I am wondering if anyone has owned and operated a MEP 105A 60KW generator, It has a 6 cyc turbo charged Allis-chamber 3500A diesel engine? If so, what is the approximate per hour fuel usage?

Isaac-1

I can't help on the specifics, but fuel economy should be around 5 GPH at rated 60 KW load, this is based on the published information for commercial generators (Onan) using similar Allis Chalmers turbo diesels (60KW Onan DYA powered by slightly smaller Allis Chalmers 2900 rated at 4.8 GPH and 75 KW Onan DYC using the same Allis Chalmers 3500 rated at 5.8 GPH full (75KW) load)

Ike

Merlin

Thank you for the response. After some deep digging I found the following information, If my calculations are in error, please advise. http://igor.chudov.com/manuals/Military-Generators/MEP-105A/TM-5-6115-545-12.pdf

On page 57, it says that it will consume 21-23 CC per minute. Inassuming this@ 23 CC/min, that is 0.7777225188547 per minute which is0.0060759571785659995 US Gallons per minute, multiplied by 60 minutes wouldequate to .364557430713954 gallons per hour. And assuming a 50 gallon tank thatunit would run 137.1526 hours of continuous run time. Which equates to approx.5.71469 Days. So, I would calculate that the 8 gallons per hour would be a lotto burn through in a war zone, 50 gallons every 7 hours. I may believe 8gallons per day, that is more probable, what do you think?

Regarding wet stacking, thanks. But living in Florida, andconsidering you can limit air flow to the radiator, I believe if you were topull 15 KW upward in a home , unmanaged electric load, and assuring the Diesel was running at thedesigned operation temperature, maybe even load the unit with an electric ovenin front of the radiator, or some heat strips, LOL – the unit would not sufferfrom wet stacking, as that has more to do with the operational temp of the dieselengine than the load. Just something to consider.

BTW, Thanks for your response.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks