• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

mep-106b lugs

Donaldjerome

I just got ny mep-016b gen running (bought last year gl) I have never used the lug style connections. Do I just strip wire back and insert in slot and and crank nut down on wire? Looks narrow as like you would be doing good to fit a #10 wire in there. I thinking of getting a distribution box with a few outlets to hook to lugs.

jbk

yes strip the wire (i solder the end) run it throgh the split bolt. i have a similar 016a set 3 kw. when set to 120 volt single phase it will make 30.2 amps. so 10 ga. wire should do it.

Donaldjerome

Jbk
Whats the best set up for aux fuel connection? Should I set up sometinthats goes to a barb fitting so I can connect rubber fuel line or is there a better way?

coyote62ny

i got a mep-016b for my brother and we used a 18 gallon gas tank i took out of a junk boat with a inboard engine works great and has a fuel gauge this gen set is mounted on a old utility trailer the gas tank we straped it between the frame rails we also had to weld in a couple of cross braces to bolt the gen set to and as it worked out the tank fit between these braces you could also use a plastic boat tank you can get these at walmart or if you know a farmer ask him if he has any 5 or 15 gallon acid drums that bulk tank cleaner acid came in just clean out with hot water and dry then rinse out with a small amount of gas these drums have two threaded holes in the end one is the same size as a 55 gallon drum the other is 1 inch pipe these drums are thick enough that you can drill and tap if you want a hole other than what is there

Isaac-1

I used either stranded #6 or #8 wire ( I think #6) when connecting the lugs on my MEP-701a / MEP-016b and don't recall any problem getting them to fit. As to the fuel tank, my generator is in my back yard beside my shed, with a 55 gallon drum full of diesel kept inside the shed using a bung adapter fitting from Hardy Diesel (they have a web page and sell on ebay, have just the fitting or also a kit with hoses, etc.) These adapters are designed to be used with a return fuel line, but you don't have to use them that way.

3 way tap drum tank kit. Two line supply and return!!! | eBay

I then used a 12 or so foot length of surplus hydraulic hose (also off ebay, I think it cost $15 or so) with a JIC fitting on one end and a NPT fitting on the other. The fitting with the screw off cap on the fuel inlet for the generator is an AN fitting, these will mate up with civilian JIC fittings (I forget the size number, may be 1/4 inch JIC or #6 AN, but someone here may know, there are technical differences between AN and JIC, with the AN being rated for more disconnect and reconnects due to the way their threads are cut) I also have a cut off valve inline with the hose ( in case of weed eater accidents, vandals, etc.) and a anti-siphon valve in the other bung adapter hole to keep the drum from collapsing under vacuum (originally I just used a draincock fitting, but decided to idiot proof with the anti-siphon valve).

Ike

jbk

this is a fuel pick up i have for diesel. compresion fittings non collapseable 20 ft. fuel line, all millitary surplus. i have 55 gal. or this 15 gal. drum. the other pictures are of a 017 gas gen. with barb. fittings.

Attachments

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks