• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

MEP-701A / MEP-016B - Engine Smoking & Bad Solinoid

mrdibbles

Hey Guys-
I've got a MEP-701A recently (through a local purchase), mainly buying this unit for ASK panels, and as I've been going through the start up process I've noted that this MEP-701A is sick It may be good that I purchased the unit for parts because it's looking like she may be exactly that (a parts donor). But... before I do start tearing her down (for parts resale) I want to make sure the unit is terminal. First off I have three other MEP-701A's and all run super smooth. Including a unit with nearly 1,200 hours. The other two are less than 300 hours each and also run super. This other unit though, the "parts" unit, has about 725 hours. It isn't leaking anything, I've changed the fuel, filter, and oil, and have noted that it has a bad solenoid (won't stay engaged so I used a zip tie keep the solenoid engaged so I could test run the unit). The throttle also isn't responsive to turns of the knob (full over to the right or full over to the left). Any ideas on what could be wrong with this moderately low hour MEP-701A? The smoke is a blackish-brown, at times it can be intermittent, and the unit appears to be getting unusually hot). I ran her today for maybe 5 minutes and had to shut it down due to fears that the EPA may come knocking.
Matt-