• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

MEP 802/803 Fuel Injector Pump Timing adjustment

Sidis8

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Trying to figure out the proper way to get this done. Got a 803 that had the shims messed with, when I got it it never ran like the other 803 I have.

I looked up the workshop manual from lister petter, found the page where it talks about fuel pump timing. Even found a video on you tube that shows the procedure. I’ll link it below, it starts around the 9:45 mark.

here’s the issue I’m having, doin the procedure in the video and using 2.519mm as the piston displacement from TDC on the compression stroke (the same number is mentioned In the engine TM), I’m getting crazy numbers like .182 inches for the thickness of shims required for the injection pump. I’m almost certain that can’t be right, so I took out an injection pump from the other 803 and measured that shim pack, was getting about .057 inches.

What am I doing wrong ? Hopefully someone here has done this before.
I’ll attach a picture from the workshop manual also.

the one thing that confusing me is they say in the video”measure to the top of the fuel pump tappet”, but the picture shows they’re measuring down into the tappet itself about half way down.

1728733148097.png

Last edited:

Ray70

Not sure how you are measuring things, but right off the bat I see a typo in the TM.
It mentions a piston drop of .99" or 2.519mm
2.519mm is no where close to .99" it's probably supposed to say .099"
but if you were at 2.519mm that is probably not your issue.
Typically I just throw in 2 black shims and call it a day. Never had a problem doing it this way.