• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Mep-802 and 803 risk of fire

m-35tom

Supporting Vendor
For what is worth, i have seen a couple burned 802's and heard of others. While servicing one of mine it developed a fuel leak in the hose that is the return line from the injector pumps up to the injectors and back to the fuel tank. This is 4mm hose and when examined, it is rotten and cracked inside the outer braid so fuel just flows out through the surface of the hose. On the surface it looks just fine so please beware.
tom

dependable

Thanks for the warning. I noticed the return line on mine has been recently replaced, but it looks like they used 3 ft or so too much, it is flopping around. I was just going to shorten it, did I miss something about the routing of it?

Ratch mentioned he saw signs the crossover battery connection could also fray with vibration and be another potential source of fire.

Ratch

I was going to post something like this. I saw several that looked like they had fires. Once I dug into mine, I found yeah, that battery wire left loose is sure to rub through (mine was through) and cause sparking. Fuel puddled in the bottom or soaked into the floor pad is pretty good potential for flames.
Since a lot of us are going to use these for home backup, not a great thing to have happen in the middle of the night.

m-35tom

Supporting Vendor
The line in question is 4mm (5/32") and is next to impossible to get in the US, if you find a source let us know. I just ordered 30 ft from Europe so can sell some if anyone needs it.
tom

Ratch

There's no way to adapt it to a more common hose?
I considered replacing it when I had mine all apart working on the injectors, but couldn't immediately see how to remove the line without destroying it, so left it alone. I would like to replace it, though. It seemed very flimsy, like windshield washer hose.

dependable

Last edited:

m-35tom

Supporting Vendor
http://www.steelsoldiers.com/showthread.php?116463-Injector-return-lines&highlight=return+line

I think it is the same stuff I use in my CUCV and Mercedes 240D. A couple sources discussed in above thread.

I got some from Pelican Parts, but any place that sells 'Euro' car parts should have some.

Have yet to try 2 cycle gas line mentioned, but it may be a good locally available alternative.
I seriously doubt it is 4mm line, it is not used in this country. What I ordered is an exact replacement, but is nitrile. Probably no way to adapt as some nipples are 'made' on the parts. Small engine gas line may be usable, but does not last very long anyway, and I was afraid of that. Gates has a part number for it but again not available here. To replace the line take off the top cover and the air filter assy, also open up the fuel tank cover.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks