• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

MEP 802A Ruined by Open Stack?

DieselAddict

Steel Soldiers Supporter
How much rain are we talking about? How long has it been that way?

The answer is yea, water going in there will end up in the exhaust of the engine. How much it takes before it a problem depends on how the unit was sitting on the ground.

I would turn it over by hand and see if it binds up or sounds like you have something stuck.

MtnSnow

Yep....... The exhaust is 1.25" NPT (National Pipe Thread) get a 1.25" coupler and a 6-12" long piece of 1.25" threaded pipe and then hit your local Tractor Supply place get a rain cap to fit. I went with 12" since we do get some large snow storms...

20161007_131005.jpg

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thanks guys. This was a Ft Polk where is rains pretty much every day. I did not buy this, auction closed today, unit brought $800.

Floridianson

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have often wonder what effect a uncapped exhaust has in the long storage. Myself if it is a single cylinder and a pull start or a way to rotate the crank leave it on the compression stroke buy pulling the pull rope or rotating the crank. Seems like a twin or more cylinder would always have a cylinder or more exposed to the ambient air. It has been a thought when looking at the military twin cylinders Onan generators on GL as to how long they have been sitting and not started for a while. At least the ones I have had have the pipe NPT nipple on them and one could cap them. On one if my running multi fuel motors I ran the motor and then closed off all the open valves by releasing the rocker arms for long storage.
The flapper is a good idea if your going to run a motor often. A pipe cap plug would be a better idea just remove it to use the Gen.

Last edited:

Daybreak

2 Star Admiral
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thanks guys. This was a Ft Polk where is rains pretty much every day. I did not buy this, auction closed today, unit brought $800.
Howdy,
I suspect that is why it only brought $800.
Some members here purchased units like that. They drained the oil and got all the oil and about a gallon of water. Of course it also depends on how long. Onsite inspections and "does the motor turn?" could make a big difference.

rustystud

I have often wonder what effect a uncapped exhaust has in the long storage.

When I was working for a Pesticide Spray company as a mechanic the boss bought this trailer mounted "Hydro-Seeder" . It had a six cylinder Perkins diesel engine that powered the sprayer. The whole unit had been kept inside the last owners barn and appeared to be in good condition. When we got it back to the shop, we changed out all the oil and filters and cleaned the fuel tank. But when we tried to start it up we found it was totally seized ! Later we found out the piston rings had rusted to the cylinders . We ended up pounding out each piston. Since this engine did not use liners we had to get the whole block down to the machine shop. The shop called later and told us that this engine was over sized already and could not take another boring. The boss ended up wasting $10,000.00 since it was a outdated unit and all the parts where extremely difficult to find. In the end we just parked it out back in the boneyard.
The moral of the story is, even though the unit had been kept in a barn out of the rain the high humidity of the Pacific Northwest had still rusted the cylinders. So if long term storage is your goal then you need to soak down each cylinder with some protective coating like "Tri-Flow" or it's equivalent. Then adjust all the rockers to allow the valves to fully close. Also before you shut down the engine I would also use a good fuel protector like "Pri-D" and allow it to get in all the fuel lines and injectors.

Last edited:

dependable

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Well after reading/scanning 39 pages of that thread, I wouldn't touch a 802A with a TEN FOOT POLE. If I need a quiet generator, I will build a box over my 002 or run the PE-95 on natural gas.

dependable

First picture is 002 with ASK and added CUCV muffler, is as quiet as the 802.

But the 802s are nice machines also. I got a freshly"reset" runner from GL for around $1k, and it is my primary standby right now.

Second picture is simple turn down pipe on 802 to protect motor from rain and snow.

Attachments

Last edited:

rustystud

Well after reading/scanning 39 pages of that thread, I wouldn't touch a 802A with a TEN FOOT POLE. If I need a quiet generator, I will build a box over my 002 or run the PE-95 on natural gas.
The 802/803 generators do seem to have their issues. Here I thought the wiring was overly complicated on the MEP-002a and MEP-003a generators. The 802/803's make them look like children's toys !

Korgoth1

The 803 are good if you can get them cheap enough, every one is a gamble though, and I havent come across one yet that I would feel comfortable putting right into service. The 802 is to small/loud/shaky imho you would be better off with an inverter gen in that size range, and 6db quieter.

I wish the 802 used lister's 3 cylinder, and was a 9kw unit, much smoother running. I also wish the 803 used the turbo version of there 4 cylinder, making it an 18kw unit. This would have carried the tradition of "underating"

The multiple fuel pumps/fuel rail make the engine hard to work on and get set just right. Alot of these sets are out there though, making parts alittle easier to come by.

Haoleb

Yep....... The exhaust is 1.25" NPT (National Pipe Thread) get a 1.25" coupler and a 6-12" long piece of 1.25" threaded pipe and then hit your local Tractor Supply place get a rain cap to fit. I went with 12" since we do get some large snow storms...

View attachment 649441
Thanks for the idea, Just got back from the store and picked up my coupler, 6" nipple and rain cap.

FYI the rain cap size is 1-1/2" its the smallest one tractor supply has.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks