• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

MEP-802A. Won’t stay running.

pclausen

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Finally had a chance to work on the unit some yesterday. I removed the MPU and cleaned off the little bit of rust stuck on the tip. Re-installed and adjusted and I still get the same thing. I remove the MPU from my spare set and noticed the connectors on the ends were gone. Anyone know if a good source for a male and female connector like these:

IMG_1648.JPG

Anyway, if I leave the MPU disconnected, the unit actually starts up and runs fine. The one downside is that I have to let go of S1 once it gets going since the starter won't disengage automatically like it normally does. Perhaps that is indicative of another issue?

Once I get some new male and female spade lugs, I'll try the spare MPU, but I have a feeling that's not the issue.

I did not see K12 opening and closing with the behavior. Didn't get a chance to monitor K16-A for constant 24V, but I'll try that next.

pclausen

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Been a while. So I have now sold all my spare 802s except for this one that won't stay running unless the MPU is disconnected.

I measured the resistance of both the spare MPU and the one in the unit. Both are right around 141 Ohms. So I really don't think that's the issue.

Here they are:

IMG_E2082.JPG

Other than needing crimp connectors on the unit on the left, they both appear in great shape physically.

On adjusting the MPU, I screwed it in until it bottomed out against the flywheel, then back out 1 turn. Upon reading this:

MPU_adjustment_1.jpg

It looks like I should check for 2-3 VAC. Looking at the referenced diagram, it appears to be this relay:

MPU_adjustment_2.jpg

So is item 35 the K16 relay and that's where I should look for 2-3 VAC across terminals 3 and 6 while dead cranking?

Last edited:

zarathustra

Steel Soldiers Supporter
It seems as if the speed sensing ciruitry is cutting the starter on and off. You could try simply disconnecting the speed sensing unit and starting the gen. If it runs and doesn't oscillate then something is akilter in the circuitry that shuts off the starter motor. If S 14 is known to be good that'll make it simpler 'cause there aint much left to go bad. If it still oscillates when the sensor is disconnected, well, that's a whole new kettle of fish. If that is the case I'd vote for a dodgy socket on s14. The 802a vibrates a lot and sometimes problems appear in a dynamic mode and look OK in a static mode.

pclausen

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Turns out it was the adjustment of the MPU. I put the original back in, backed it out 1.5 turns and got about 0.9 VAC dead cranking. Turned it back in 1/8 turn and I was at 1.6 VAC, did another 1/8 turn and was at 2.3 VAC, tightened up the nut and it runs great now.

Will H

Thank you for the follow up. Great to hear it's running!
Hello,

I have an 802a that is doing the same exact thing. I did everything thing in the above post and it still surges. When I disconnect the MPU it would run, but only with the S1 held on run. Any other ideas on what it could be. It did take the entire top off and checked for lose wires.

thanks

Guyfang

Staff member
It would be best when you start your own thread, then its possible to help you better. All the comments to your thread concern you, and only you. If you need help starting a thread, say something. While the problems sound alike, there is a good chance they are not the same.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks