• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

MEP 803 loaded up

CapePrep

I am sure this has been discussed 100 times+, but This is the first time I have had a chance to really load up my recent frankenstein machine(took 2 bad ones and made 1 good one!). This thing is amazing. 62amps per leg. That is 14.9KW. I did run it at 125%ish for probably 30-40min and then it tripped the overload. I had 2 4500 watt heaters and an old double wall oven set to all 4 elements cranking. In the second video you can see me adding the space heaters and the engine barely notices it. Love these things!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hCEIL4G9u8A
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2jbyJXfT-m4

Hard Head

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Were you running 240 single phase? Then 62 amps is 11.904 KW This is an excellent output on a 12 KVA (10KW) generator head since it can take it for a long time without overheating. You just forgot to include the power factor in your calculations. Sorry I am just an engineer that has had this crap engraved in his brain for over 40 years now. It is kind of like fingernails on a chalk board to me since I am an EE. Sorry not trying to say anything bad OK! Please don't take take this as me being a smart as*. I am enjoy helping others as others have helped me. I check out this site as much as I can since as I always learn something.

KW

AC single phase amps to kilowatts calculations
The power P in kilowatts (kW) is equal to the power factor PF times the phase current I in amps (A), times the RMS voltage V in volts (V) divided by 1000:
P(kW) = PF × I(A) × V(V) / 1000 = (.8 x 62 x 240) / 1000 = 11.904KW

AC three phase amps to kilowatts calculation
Calculation with line to line voltage
The power P in kilowatts (kW) is equal to square root of 3 times the power factor PF times the phase current I in amps (A), times the line to line RMS voltage VL-L in volts (V) divided by 1000:

P(kW) = √3 × PF × I(A) × VL-L (V) / 1000

Calculation with line to neutral voltage
The power P in kilowatts (kW) is equal to 3 times the power factor PF times the phase current I in amps (A), times the line to neutral RMS voltage VL-N in volts (V) divided by 1000:

P(kW) = 3 × PF × I(A) × VL-N (V) / 1000

_______________________________________________________________________________________

KVA

How to convert electric current in amps (A) to apparent power in kilovolt-amps (kVA). You can calculate kilovolt-amps from amps and volts, but you can't convert amps to kilovolt-amps since kilovolt-amps and amps units do not measure the same quantity.

Single phase amps to kVA calculation formula
The apparent power S in kilovolt-amps is equal to phase current I in amps, times the RMS voltage V in volts, divided by 1000:
S(kVA) = I(A) × V(V) / 1000
So kilovolt-amps are equal to amps times volts divided by 1000. kilovolt-amps = amps × volts / 1000orkVA = A ⋅ V / 1000
Example:
What is the apparent power in kVA when the phase current is 12A and the RMS voltage supply is 110V?
Solution: S = 12A × 110V / 1000 = 1.32kVA

3 phase amps to kVA calculation formula
Calculation with line to line voltage The apparent power S in kilovolt-amps (with balanced loads) is equal to square root of 3 times the phase current I in amps, times the line to line RMS voltage VL-L in volts, divided by 1000:
S(kVA) = √3 × I(A) × VL-L(V) / 1000

So kilovolt-amps are equal to √3 times amps times volts divided by 1000. kilovolt-amps = √3 × amps × volts / 1000 or kVA = √3 × A ⋅ V / 1000

Example:
What is the apparent power in kVA when the phase current is 12A and the line to line RMS voltage supply is 190V?
Solution:
S = √3 × 12A × 190V / 1000 = 3.949kVA

The apparent power S in kilovolt-amps (with balanced loads) is equal to 3 times the phase current I in amps, times the line to neutral RMS voltage VL-N in volts, divided by 1000:
S(kVA) = 3 × I(A) × VL-N(V) / 1000
So kilovolt-amps are equal to 3 times amps times volts divided by 1000. kilovolt-amps = 3 × amps × volts / 1000orkVA = 3 × A ⋅ V / 1000

Example
What is the apparent power in kVA when the phase current is 12A and the line to neutral RMS voltage supply is 120V?
Solution:
S = 3 × 12A × 120V / 1000 = 4.32kVA

Last edited:

jamawieb

I test all my units with a 14kw commercial load bank for at least 6 hours. I've found that 14kw is the max with a per resistance load as with my load bank. Anything over 14kw trips the breaker.

CapePrep

HH, Wow that was great! I had no idea about all of that. I was using basic OHM's law, and obviously forgot a few parts ! Thanks for the schoolin'
Were you running 240 single phase? Then 62 amps is 11.904 KW This is an excellent output on a 12 KVA (10KW) generator head since it can take it for a long time without overheating. You just forgot to include the power factor in your calculations. Sorry I am just an engineer that has had this crap engraved in his brain for over 40 years now. It is kind of like fingernails on a chalk board to me since I am an EE. Sorry not trying to say anything bad OK! Please don't take take this as me being a smart as*. I am enjoy helping others as others have helped me. I check out this site as much as I can since as I always learn something.

KW

AC single phase amps to kilowatts calculations
The power P in kilowatts (kW) is equal to the power factor PF times the phase current I in amps (A), times the RMS voltage V in volts (V) divided by 1000:
P(kW) = PF × I(A) × V(V) / 1000 = (.8 x 62 x 240) / 1000 = 11.904KW

AC three phase amps to kilowatts calculation
Calculation with line to line voltage
The power P in kilowatts (kW) is equal to square root of 3 times the power factor PF times the phase current I in amps (A), times the line to line RMS voltage VL-L in volts (V) divided by 1000:

P(kW) = √3 × PF × I(A) × VL-L (V) / 1000

The power P in kilowatts (kW) is equal to 3 times the power factor PF times the phase current I in amps (A), times the line to neutral RMS voltage VL-N in volts (V) divided by 1000:

P(kW) = 3 × PF × I(A) × VL-N (V) / 1000

_______________________________________________________________________________________

KVA

How to convert electric current in amps (A) to apparent power in kilovolt-amps (kVA). You can calculate kilovolt-amps from amps and volts, but you can't convert amps to kilovolt-amps since kilovolt-amps and amps units do not measure the same quantity.

Single phase amps to kVA calculation formula
The apparent power S in kilovolt-amps is equal to phase current I in amps, times the RMS voltage V in volts, divided by 1000:
S(kVA) = I(A) × V(V) / 1000
So kilovolt-amps are equal to amps times volts divided by 1000. kilovolt-amps = amps × volts / 1000orkVA = A ⋅ V / 1000
Example:
What is the apparent power in kVA when the phase current is 12A and the RMS voltage supply is 110V?
Solution: S = 12A × 110V / 1000 = 1.32kVA

3 phase amps to kVA calculation formula
Calculation with line to line voltage The apparent power S in kilovolt-amps (with balanced loads) is equal to square root of 3 times the phase current I in amps, times the line to line RMS voltage VL-L in volts, divided by 1000:
S(kVA) = √3 × I(A) × VL-L(V) / 1000

So kilovolt-amps are equal to √3 times amps times volts divided by 1000. kilovolt-amps = √3 × amps × volts / 1000 or kVA = √3 × A ⋅ V / 1000

Example:
What is the apparent power in kVA when the phase current is 12A and the line to line RMS voltage supply is 190V?
Solution:
S = √3 × 12A × 190V / 1000 = 3.949kVA

The apparent power S in kilovolt-amps (with balanced loads) is equal to 3 times the phase current I in amps, times the line to neutral RMS voltage VL-N in volts, divided by 1000:
S(kVA) = 3 × I(A) × VL-N(V) / 1000
So kilovolt-amps are equal to 3 times amps times volts divided by 1000. kilovolt-amps = 3 × amps × volts / 1000orkVA = 3 × A ⋅ V / 1000

Example
What is the apparent power in kVA when the phase current is 12A and the line to neutral RMS voltage supply is 120V?
Solution:
S = 3 × 12A × 120V / 1000 = 4.32kVA

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks