• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

MEP-803 Water Separator Base?

jaxbill

Hello,

Does anyone have a spare they're willing to sell and can get shipped out tomorrow?

I've got a mangled fuel filter / water separator that is stuck and I'm not sure there's enough left to get it removed without damaging the base. I've removed the panels to get better access but no luck. Tomorrow I will try to get some channel locks that will fit the top rim of the filter but I am not optimistic.

Thanks

Light in the Dark

Steel Soldiers Supporter
This is the hose that goes from the outbound side of the seperator base, to the fuel filter bowl... https://www.surpluscenter.com/Hydra...Hose-Assembly-5800-PSI-NRP-Jones-920-2218.axd

So the dimensions you need (1/4" JIC) should be all you need to have a hose made locally in a half hour or under. Might need a JIC Male to Male adapter to jump the hard line from the tank over to the filter base, but its all standard stuff.

jaxbill

This is the hose that goes from the outbound side of the seperator base, to the fuel filter bowl... https://www.surpluscenter.com/Hydra...Hose-Assembly-5800-PSI-NRP-Jones-920-2218.axd

So the dimensions you need (1/4" JIC) should be all you need to have a hose made locally in a half hour or under. Might need a JIC Male to Male adapter to jump the hard line from the tank over to the filter base, but its all standard stuff.
Was looking into this in case plan A doesn't work out. So are all/most hydraulic hoses rated for diesel?

Napa says they only make up hydraulic hoses and I imagine the person that answered the phone thinks "fuel" means gasoline.

Daybreak

2 Star Admiral
Steel Soldiers Supporter
A note to others on the forum.
It seems the fuel/water filter was put on dry, and overly tight. Usually, you destroy the filter taking it off. On 1 unit I had to remove the entire base and filter. Placed on the bench vice to finally get the filter off.

You could also remove the base, and work on it on a bench. Since even if you order a base, you will still be taking it off. :cool:

jaxbill

I made a lot of dumb mistakes on this one.

First, I forgot I never changed this filter when I installed the genset. I recall it was too tight to remove with a regular filter wrench and thought I would get back to it. I never did.

Second, I tried to change it under pressure and started making stupid mistakes instead of stopping to reassess my approach. I should have removed the side panel earlier in the process. I also should have only attempted the chain wrench with it secured to the solid top part of the filter. I ended up making a giant mangled mess.

Hopefully changing it yearly will be enough to avoid trouble with a filter that was lubed before installation.

Guyfang

Staff member
I made a lot of dumb mistakes on this one.

First, I forgot I never changed this filter when I installed the genset. I recall it was too tight to remove with a regular filter wrench and thought I would get back to it. I never did.

Second, I tried to change it under pressure and started making stupid mistakes instead of stopping to reassess my approach. I should have removed the side panel earlier in the process. I also should have only attempted the chain wrench with it secured to the solid top part of the filter. I ended up making a giant mangled mess.

Hopefully changing it yearly will be enough to avoid trouble with a filter that was lubed before installation.
Experience. The best teacher. Experience, under pressure. BAD things happen. But you learned. Thats the main thing. I have one or two small scars on my hands from just this experience.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks