• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

MEP-803A Crank But No Start

Firebrand

Gents--

My MEP-803A cranks but will not start. 98 hours total, plenty of good fuel.

When I turn the switch to Prime/Aux, I hear a pump running, but when I turn the switch to Prime/Run on the way to Start, there's no pump running.

Suggestions please.

Thanks!

Guyfang

Staff member
Gents--

My MEP-803A cranks but will not start. 98 hours total, plenty of good fuel.

When I turn the switch to Prime/Aux, I hear a pump running, (The only way the Aux pump comes on, is if the fuel tank sending unit is telling it to come on because the tank is dry. Are you 100% sure its the Aux pump? Are you getting a low fuel warning light?) but when I turn the switch to Prime/Run on the way to Start, there's no pump running. (what happens if you leave it in Prime/Run? If you get no Primary pump to come on, then pull the plug on it and check for 24 VDC at the plug.)

Suggestions please.

Thanks!

Ray70

It sounds like your Aux. pump is working but your primary pump ( next to the radiator on the oil filter side of the engine ) is not.
The Aux pump ( hidden inside the fuel tank compartment ) will run anytime the switch is in the aux position and the tank is below about 3/4 full.
Guy wants you to verify power at the primary pump. If you have 24V at that pump but it's not running, time for a new pump.
Is it a square pump or an E1074 pump?

Firebrand

It sounds like your Aux. pump is working but your primary pump ( next to the radiator on the oil filter side of the engine ) is not.
The Aux pump ( hidden inside the fuel tank compartment ) will run anytime the switch is in the aux position and the tank is below about 3/4 full.
Guy wants you to verify power at the primary pump. If you have 24V at that pump but it's not running, time for a new pump.
Is it a square pump or an E1074 pump?
So I just metered power at the Primary Pump, which is an E1074 unit, and have confirmed power at that connector

Seems like I need to purchase an E1074 pump.

Best source for these?

Firebrand

And the E1074 is now a Carter P74016.

Found some on that auction site and other places as well.

Remember, one is none, two is one, three is two, and four is just right.

Ray70

Well be careful, The Carter P74016 as well as the other 24V Airtex numbers are not quite drop in replacements.
The E1074 has a right angle built into the top of the pump. The others are all straight through.
You need to rig up some 90* adapter fittings to make the straight pumps fit.
It also helps if you take the 4" long stainless steel adapter line that is right at the pump's output, cut it to get the female line nuts off and make up your own replacement using steel brake line, as you will need something about 1 1/2" longer to make it fit easier.
The whole system is low pressure so you can also hook things up with rubber hose, just make sure it's all fuel rated.

Firebrand

So I found the Carter P70416 pump that is the replacement for the E1074 unit on an auction site and have managed to assemble it with a bunch of fittings to reinstall into my 803A.

She rumbled to life on the first try, after preheating and priming.

I'll add photos in a bit to show my completed installation.

Thanks to all for the insight and advice that got me back up and running!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks