• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

MEP-803A - Fuel lines for stationary sub-base fuel tank

mesias

Hey guys,

I wanted to share the project I started to connect the MEP803 to a diesel sub-base tank. The goal is to circumvent the secondary system and run new lines to use the primary pump directly.
I started with the exterior lines. I replaced the original bulkhead connector with a compression fitting to run stainless tubing. The return line is also using a similar fitting. All tubing in 3/8".

Overall this is how it looks. The top line (green arrow) is the pickup line coming from a pre-filter. The bottom line (red arrow) is the return line. I'm also installing a fuel level sender that I'll connect to the genset fuel level gauge.

20200924_190111.jpg 20200924_190117.jpg 20200924_190124.jpg

Inside the onboard tank compartment, the pickup line will be connected with a 5/16" hose to the main pump. The return line will also be connected directly from the bulkhead fitting to the motor.

The only piece I'm not sure how to deal with yet is the fuel level switch. If I keep it disconnected, will the unit run?
Do you guys see any potential issue in this setup?

Thanks in advance!

WWRD99

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Hey guys,

I wanted to share the project I started to connect the MEP803 to a diesel sub-base tank. The goal is to circumvent the secondary system and run new lines to use the primary pump directly.
I started with the exterior lines. I replaced the original bulkhead connector with a compression fitting to run stainless tubing. The return line is also using a similar fitting. All tubing in 3/8".

Overall this is how it looks. The top line (green arrow) is the pickup line coming from a pre-filter. The bottom line (red arrow) is the return line. I'm also installing a fuel level sender that I'll connect to the genset fuel level gauge.

View attachment 813072 View attachment 813074 View attachment 813073

Inside the onboard tank compartment, the pickup line will be connected with a 5/16" hose to the main pump. The return line will also be connected directly from the bulkhead fitting to the motor.

The only piece I'm not sure how to deal with yet is the fuel level switch. If I keep it disconnected, will the unit run?

Thanks in advance!
I would think getting the lines to prime with fuel and keep it that way may be an issue,,,maybe...is there a pump in the lower tank to push it up into the filter? I know it may help keeping prime as well since you can get a basic 12 volt pump that has a check valve in it as well...if I read right you're not using the tank on the genset at all to hold fuel...the level sensor if you can prop it up at half or full it should keep it running and not try to kick in the secondary pump
and keep the motor running.

jmenende

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Hey guys,

View attachment 813072 View attachment 813074 View attachment 813073

Thanks in advance!
Hello. Where did you get the sub tank>?

mesias

I filled the tank with red diesel and some biocide. I hope it holds clean for a while.
Today I tested the setup and it worked just fine. I run the unit for an hour at 85%, no issues. I made some adjustments to allow the tank to breath because the cap resulted to be non-vented. If were to have this tank built again I would have added an additional 2" bung for a vent.

In this test learned that the secondary pump must be connected for the genset to be able to start it. I would like to keep the secondary pump off the genset, stored in a spare box. Do you have any idea how to trick the getset to beleive the pump is connected?

Hello. Where did you get the sub tank>?
Look HERE.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks