• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

MEP-803A genset no crank

jaybird67k

i just aquired a MEP803A with 45 hours on it. Bought 2 new batteries and get no crank from either locations. No prime also. The green lights come on with no prime pump and no crank. Jumped the solenoid and it spins. I also get no test lights except for battle and circuit open or closed lights. The start relay is engaging and I have 25v at starter.
Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks, Jason

Ray70

By " both positions" I assume you mean the dead crank switch and the S1 start switch?
I's start by confirming your E-stop switch is pulled out, the 7.5A circuit breaker inside next to the F1 alternator charging fuse is pushed in and if those all check out, verify the CR1 diode on the panel in the rear left side of the control cube has continuity through it.
Your description sounds more like no power to the control panel than a no crank situation, although it sounds like your saying the cranking relay is engaging?
It sounds by your description like you have no gages, no fuel pumps, no warning lights as well as no cranking.
Do your panel illumination lights work, or are they dead as well?
Might also want to take a look at the TM, or engine side door on the machine for the wiring schematic.
Look at both the S10 dead crank switch, the S1 main switch and the K2 cranking relay, that shows you the path that power takes when cranking from the dead crank or main switch.

jaybird67k

By " both positions" I assume you mean the dead crank switch and the S1 start switch?
I's start by confirming your E-stop switch is pulled out, the 7.5A circuit breaker inside next to the F1 alternator charging fuse is pushed in and if those all check out, verify the CR1 diode on the panel in the rear left side of the control cube has continuity through it.
Your description sounds more like no power to the control panel than a no crank situation, although it sounds like your saying the cranking relay is engaging?
It sounds by your description like you have no gages, no fuel pumps, no warning lights as well as no cranking.
Do your panel illumination lights work, or are they dead as well?
Might also want to take a look at the TM, or engine side door on the machine for the wiring schematic.
Look at both the S10 dead crank switch, the S1 main switch and the K2 cranking relay, that shows you the path that power takes when cranking from the dead crank or main switch.
The green panel lights do come on. I replaced a 2 amp fuse that was bad behind the control panel under the 7.5amp push in.

Ray70

That is your battery charging fuse and should be 30A not 2A, but that should have nothing to do with your problem.
Can you confirm you get the same results with both the dead crank and main S1 switches?

kloppk

Steel Soldiers Supporter
....The start relay is engaging and I have 25v at starter....
I assume when you say "starter relay" you are referring to relay K2?
If so, you'll want to see if terminal A1 on it is getting 24 volts all the time.
Then check terminal A2 for 24 volts when you try and engage the starter from the Dead Crank Switch or S1.

You may have multiple issue since the Primary Fuel pump doesn't run.

jaybird67k

I assume when you say "starter relay" you are referring to relay K2?
If so, you'll want to see if terminal A1 on it is getting 24 volts all the time.
Then check terminal A2 for 24 volts when you try and engage the starter from the Dead Crank Switch or S1.

You may have multiple issue since the Primary Fuel pump doesn't run.
Thanks. Do I check voltage with relay still installed or pull it out and check the pin slots?

kloppk

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The Start relay is NOT in the row of relays behind the gauge panel.
These are the relays and functions of the relays in that row.
1723647927563.png

The START relay K2 is located in the AC compartment which is behind the wall where the relays above are located.
You need to take the roof panel off to get to it.
This is K2
1723648130302.png

kloppk

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The K2 relay is known to get corroded inside causing it to not close causing the no crank problem.
They can be disassembled and cleaned to correct that.

Last edited: