• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

MEP-803a no power at panel

Light in the Dark

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Hi All. Just picked up a 2010 803A (8 hours), and an 85 002A (2007-Tier 2'd with 7 hours listed). Neither run... but I shall tackle each individually.

On the 803A, the batteries are refreshed red tops that came with the machine (each measure at about 12.5v). I have absolutely no power, relay clicks, lights, etc at the panel. I can flip the dead crank switch and it will turn over, but its not starting. I added 5 gallons of fresh diesel before doing all of this. I looked behind the panel and on the surface, everything appears to be in order.

The breaker on the left side of the case I have pushed the button on, but it didn't seem to be tripped. With such a complete lack of lights or anything at the operator panel... I figure I am just missing something big? You all have any pointers? Going to breeze through the manual this morning, but I figured a few sets of eyes are better than just one.

Thanks for any assistance.

Daybreak

2 Star Admiral
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Howdy,
Start at the top.

Go thru start-up procedure.

start your unit and put a load on it.

*hint; pull out the emergency stop button. :roll:

Light in the Dark

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Guess it was a combination of testing, but not writing down the exact switch locations. I must have had the stop button out yesterday, but the unit set to OFF. Feel like an idiot now of course, but my baby purs. Time to go run to Lowes to fab up a genset cable and give her a shakedown run today. Thanks all.

Chrispyny

Guess it was a combination of testing, but not writing down the exact switch locations. I must have had the stop button out yesterday, but the unit set to OFF. Feel like an idiot now of course, but my baby purs. Time to go run to Lowes to fab up a genset cable and give her a shakedown run today. Thanks all.
Where did you get the gensets? History?

Happy its running for you.

Light in the Dark

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Where did you get the gensets? History?

Happy its running for you.
This one came out of Ft. Drum. It's in impeccable shape, with only 8.xx hours. I have another 803a incoming from MCLB Albany. That one is late 90s, but under 20 hours listed. We'll see if I strike it lucky again. I got this one for my uses, but my father in law got a look (and he has ALWAYS wanted one of these)... so I decided to go out on a limb with the second to see if I can get working for him.

I am considering finding a beautiful 003A too, to see which I prefer long term.

Chrispyny

I love winning a like new machine. My 802 was at 22 hours when i got it last year.
Which auction did you get your 803 at? Are you driving to GA or shipping? I ask because i'd love to bid on some out of are 803's but, i'm not driving that far. I see you are in MA so i figured if you are shipping, i'd be interested in costs involved, and anything else you can add. My girlfriend lives in western MA. I'm there every weekend. Nice to have someone close by!
Also, when you hear how loud the 003 is, you won't want anything to do with it. Especially if you live in the suburbs or city. The 803 is more complicated, but in my opinion, far more refined. Plus, the 002 and 003 gensets seem to have mostly been sold off. They don't come up for sale much often anymore.

Last edited:

Light in the Dark

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I love winning a like new machine. My 802 was at 22 hours when i got it last year.
Which auction did you get your 803 at? Are you driving to GA or shipping? I ask because i'd love to bid on some out of are 803's but, i'm not driving that far. I see you are in MA so i figured if you are shipping, i'd be interested in costs involved, and anything else you can add. My girlfriend lives in western MA. I'm there every weekend. Nice to have someone close by!
Also, when you hear how loud the 003 is, you won't want anything to do with it. Especially if you live in the suburbs or city. The 803 is more complicated, but in my opinion, far more refined. Plus, the 002 and 003 gensets seem to have mostly been sold off. They don't come up for sale much often anymore.
I have it shipped to our factory in Western MA, which has a commercial loading dock. From there I use a fork truck onto my trailer, and my Kubota to take it off here.

I don't live anywhere near the city thankfully. I just saw some beautiful desert tan 003s that were refurb go on the block back in May... kick myself for not getting one. All out of GA too.

Chrispyny

Who do you use for shipping, and what does it cost, and how long does it take? Don't mean to be nosey. You are welcome to private message me if you prefer. Thanks

My girlfriend lives in Pittsfield.

Light in the Dark

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I use Old Dominion Freight ( http://www.odfl.com/Home/ ). You can get a ballpark quote on freight if you give them the weight and dimensions, and tell them its freight class 92.5 (density measurement for generators). You are probably looking around 6-750 to ship to you, but Im only guessing.

Guyfang

Staff member
Welcome to the club! And you will NEVER forget this lesson. Be interesting to see what you think after trying all the different sets.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks