• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

mep 804a only stays running when holding in the start position.

A friend of mine purchased a new machine with 2 hours on it. mep804a installed new batterys, filters, oil anti freeze. machine started right up produced power. he had someone connect it to the breaker panel, everything worked fine, several times the power went out, he fired up the generator with no problems. machine has 40 hours on it now. last winter the power went out he goes to fire it, and the batterys were dead, he got it started and running, the power came back on and he turned it off, another power faliure comes he installed 2 new batterys, fired the set up, and it would only stay running when he held it in the start position (battle short would not let the machine stay running) he put a stick under the start switch and ran it for a day or two. I removed the alternator, and his friend fixed the alternator, i re installed it, but it only stays running if its held in the start position. no lights are on, fuse is good, no breakers are tripped, it doesnt look like its charging either. I read the manual that came with the machine, but could not find anything like this in there. Any thought or idea what to look for or what to look at? Something tells me its some type of safety. thanks.

Guyfang

Staff member
A friend of mine purchased a new machine with 2 hours on it. mep804a installed new batterys, filters, oil anti freeze. machine started right up produced power. he had someone connect it to the breaker panel, everything worked fine, several times the power went out, he fired up the generator with no problems. machine has 40 hours on it now. last winter the power went out he goes to fire it, and the batterys were dead, he got it started and running, the power came back on and he turned it off, another power faliure comes he installed 2 new batterys, fired the set up, and it would only stay running when he held it in the start position (battle short would not let the machine stay running) he put a stick under the start switch and ran it for a day or two. (I can not think of a better way to damage the generator than this. What you need to do is download the TM's from the TM forum, and read the troubleshooting) I removed the alternator, and his friend fixed the alternator, i re installed it, but it only stays running if its held in the start position. no lights are on, fuse is good, no breakers are tripped, it doesnt look like its charging either. ( Have you tested the output of the Alternator with a DMM?) I read the manual (What Manual?) that came with the machine, but could not find anything like this in there. Any thought or idea what to look for or what to look at? Something tells me its some type of safety. (Do you get any fault lights? If it were a safety issue, the S7, (Battle short) would over ride the faults. But you would still get fault lights. )

I agree that was the worst thing he could have done, putting a stick under the switch, but he was out of power, in the winter. I read the TM (not the manual) and did not find anything about the machine only running with the start switch held in the start position. I have not put a voltmeter on the alternator, I just assumed it was good when it came back from the shop. I will check it in a day or so. All the lights are in working condition, but no lights are on (except the oil pressure light till it builds pressure when it starts) The machine wont stay running with the battle short switch. One more thing I just thought of, it doesnt start unless you hold the start button in the start position, and pull the emergency stop switch out at the same time. Im sorry for these long posts, I just want to be thorough.

Guyfang

Staff member
Long posts are information. So thats good.

Take a picture of the S1, (Start Switch) Inside the control panel. Want to see what version S1 is in it,

Have you or the owner done ANY other work on the set in the last year?

Test/Inspect the S17, (Emergency off switch) I would disconnect both wires and put the DMM leads in the S17 contacts. Test the open and close function of S17, AND, see if the close function STAYS closed. Not close and then open again.