• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

MEP-804A (PU-801) Fuel Leak

Evvy Fesler

Hey gang! Need your help. I have a fuel leak. I think I found the assembly in the TM, please help me confirm?

Visual Description: There's a fuel elbow that exits the road-side side rail. It appears to run through a rubber grommet. It's loosey goosey so you're wondering why I don't tighten it up? Well... I don't know where it goes after it passes through the side rail. I don't want to turn something where I might twist a hose up or break out a mounting bracket or worse... fuel tank flange.

How I can go about tightening it?
What precautions?

1667053360509.png

1667053408903.png

1667053793780.png

Light in the Dark

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Its probably the rubber well nut that is leaking, happens all the time on the 80X models. If you can rotate that whole elbow, its probably seeping there. You can replace it with the OEM, but if the P/Ns cross to the same on the smaller sets, I would opt personally to install one of the bulkhead fittings discussed under the 'ulimate well nut upgrade' thread you can probably find by searching. A one and done upgrade, never to be messed with again. The OEM well nut will leak again, just a matter of time (even if its the upgraded grey material).

Evvy Fesler

Its probably the rubber well nut that is leaking, happens all the time on the 80X models. If you can rotate that whole elbow, its probably seeping there. You can replace it with the OEM, but if the P/Ns cross to the same on the smaller sets, I would opt personally to install one of the bulkhead fittings discussed under the 'ulimate well nut upgrade' thread you can probably find by searching. A one and done upgrade, never to be messed with again. The OEM well nut will leak again, just a matter of time (even if its the upgraded grey material).
You're the best, thank you!

Guyfang

Staff member
Extremely common leak on the Big gen sets, as everyone and his dog, walks on it. Not when the gen set is mounted, but when its not! When someone puts the gen set on the ground, and working on it, this happens.

Also, it happens when mounted, because soldiers tend to be in a rush, when pulling up the tent stakes, (leaving an A.O.). They will toss the ground rod into the space between the set and trailer. Or other things.

Ray70

And as a word of advise, if you end up going back with the original style well nut, searching around on the internet for A3816 you will find dozens of "Cheaper" listings for "Equivalent" 3/8"-16 Well nuts from PoP Fasteners and Hillman etc. , but do not buy the cheap replacements! Stick with at least the real Nitrile or Viton ones, diesel will destroy the Chloroprene well nuts in about a week.

Evvy Fesler

I ordered the so-called permanent fix part, but I've been wondering why not seal up this hole altogether? It would be easy enough to pump the fuel out instead of gravity drain and then leak liability is reduced to near zero.

Evvy Fesler

As long as you do not want to use a quick disconnect fuel system possibility, fine. Is it going to stay on the trailer? If so, it is handy, if you have to dismount the gen set. But thats the only reason I would keep it.
Remove it from the trailer. Well… that’s the debate at our house these days. I’m in favor of dismounting it and parking it on a concrete slab, and elevate it on concrete block columns, anchored all the way. Bob would rather leave it on the trailer in case a hurricane blows through and we may feel compelled to tow it somewhere to provide electricity for someone or some agency in need. That’s a strong desire for me, too. We wonder if that means that we should find a way to set the trailer on jack stands in order to preserve the (pristine) tires?

Last edited:

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Remove it from the trailer. Well… that’s the debate at our house these days. I’m in favor of dismounting it and parking it on a concrete slab. I’m in favor of elevating it on concrete block columns, anchored all the way. Bob would rather leave it in the trailer in case a hurricane blows through and we may feel compelled to tow it somewhere to provide electricity for someone or some agency in need. That’s a strong desire for me, too. We wonder if that means that we should find a way to set the trailer on jack stands in order to preserve the (pristine) tires?
@Evvy ,

Maybe you need a second generator.
One for home and one mobile to drag around as needed...

:cool:

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks