• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

MEP-804A Unidentified loose connection around fuel float assembly.

Evvy Fesler

My new MEP-804A may have had an issue with one of its fuel float switch assemblies because it wasn’t bolted down. There are two. The one assembly is connected to the float module. It has two red and two black wires plugged into it. The other one, the loose one, has a single white wire with a red connector. The connector is fork shaped and was under a nut. The other white wire has a blue’ish colored fork connector labeled 14-16A. It was loose. Does it go under one of the flange bolts for grounding since the flange is somewhat isolated by its gasket?

6185F3EB-46F5-4BDF-AFC8-131D91023AD4.jpeg8971C7C1-9B18-4975-929A-120664AB22DB.jpeg
6714D58C-3F77-4720-BE2F-8083D9876C7B.jpeg

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
My new MEP-804A may have had an issue with one of its fuel float switch assemblies because it wasn’t bolted down. There are two. The one assembly is connected to the float module. It has two red and two black wires plugged into it. The other one, the loose one, has a single white wire with a red connector. The connector is fork shaped and was under a nut. The other white wire has a blue’ish colored fork connector labeled 14-16A. It was loose. Does it go under one of the flange bolts for grounding since the flange is somewhat isolated by its gasket?

View attachment 876702View attachment 876700
View attachment 876701
I can't answer for the MEP, but on a lot of trucks there is a ground wire under one of those bolts around the fuel sending unit. That blue and that red connector are most likely not factory connectors - and in your last picture - somebody bought the harbor freight cheap a$$ crimpers. The "solderless connectors" should be "staked" or crimped all the way around with a set of crimpers that cost (guessing) a hundred bucks.

Evvy Fesler

I can't answer for the MEP, but on a lot of trucks there is a ground wire under one of those bolts around the fuel sending unit. That blue and that red connector are most likely not factory connectors - and in your last picture - somebody bought the harbor freight cheap a$$ crimpers. The "solderless connectors" should be "staked" or crimped all the way around with a set of crimpers that cost (guessing) a hundred bucks.
Thanks for your thoughtful comments. It's interesting that you point out the low-end crimp connection. I also noticed that the wires from the control panel aren't bundled. They're all loose like a bad hair day. Several had been spliced presumably to repair a fray. I'll bundle and tie everything together and secure them once I get the genset running.

Can someone please check the positioning of the fuel sending unit? I didn't know which way the float was supposed to be positioned so that it didn't find interference when it rises up or travels downward.

Evvy Fesler

What is the wire number on the loose wire?
I wish I knew. Someone tried to rewire this generator. They used mil-spec wire of a heavier gauge. Some wires are spliced new onto old and I can read those wire numbers at the old end. This wire goes to TB7-5, so it’s a ground wire for the fuel sender. It’s isolated via its gasket and or the fuel tank so it needs a ground path. I secured it under one of the screws.